General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome is showing rust on 2011 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome is showing rust on 2011 F150

I have a 2011 F150 that has small rust spots on the front, rear bumbers, and factory nerf bars. I purchased new on 6/01/2011 I'm thinking that ford has a problem with the chrome plating. I called the dealer today and was told that Ford reccommends cleaning these every 4 monthes with a special chrome cleaner but I could bring the truck in next week to have it looked at and they could take a few pictures and send them to ford to see if they would replace these parts. Has anyone else had this problem and has the problem been resolved.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglide08
I have a 2011 F150 that has small rust spots on the front, rear bumbers, and factory nerf bars. I purchased new on 6/01/2011 I'm thinking that ford has a problem with the chrome plating. I called the dealer today and was told that Ford reccommends cleaning these every 4 monthes with a special chrome cleaner but I could bring the truck in next week to have it looked at and they could take a few pictures and send them to ford to see if they would replace these parts. Has anyone else had this problem and has the problem been resolved.

Thanks
I've heard others with this problem. It is bad steel. Cleaning it will remove the rust stain, but eventually the chrome will bubble as the rust gets worse. Keeping a coat of wax on it may help a little. You may also want to paint the back side of the bumpers with rustoleum or something to keep rust from eating through from the back side.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just back from the body shop about the backside of the front bumper on the eco. Its rusting inside, just surface, they took pics, sent it to ford and denied, saying that they (Ford) lightly coat the inside with weatherproofing but they wont warrantee it. Called Ford customer service and got the same BS. Time for sanding and rustoleum. Dont wanna do it but its a lease truck and i dont want to get spanked if its significantly worse in a few years.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by streetglide08

Thanks
I have the same problem on the rear bumper, didnt check the front. nerf bars are also rusting a bit
Also have a problem with the flexfuel badge on the tailgate peeling and crap. Gotta get it all checked by the dealer.
I Think a while back my dad had them take pics and send it in and the bumper was approved for replacement, but he never went in to have it changed..? (Trucks financed in his name so he had to take it in).
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the same problem 2011 F-150 I buffed them out with a bit of polishing by hand after my ford dealer tells me it's normal!!!! Considering to black out all chrome anyways but it's not right to have this after one year for the price we pay!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Try a product called never dull to get the chrome back to original the make sure u wax on a consistent basis. I can tell u I hate to admitt but I had to get into a Toyota Tacoma for about 10 months a few years back and this was a complaint of mine as it was of many others. This was a problem on my 10 150 as well. Watch the wheels if you have the chrome ones as well
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty ridiculous. You pay like 40,000$ For a freakin truck and the thing starts rusting all over within a year. Another thing that annoyed me was that they try cutting down the weight by making the body thinner and thinner. A rock hit my hood and now i got a pretty small little dent (size of a penny from impact pount to the outer edge of the dent), plus another nice one on the tailgate and a small almost unnoticable one on the tailgate. freakin sucks.. And i dont really use the truck for serious work or anything like that. Its more a daily driver than a work truck.. Use it to haul cargo in the bed here and there.. Nothing crazy though, buncha boxed products and crap.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 AM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by jsw2011boostsc
I just back from the body shop about the backside of the front bumper on the eco. Its rusting inside, just surface, they took pics, sent it to ford and denied, saying that they (Ford) lightly coat the inside with weatherproofing but they wont warrantee it. Called Ford customer service and got the same BS. Time for sanding and rustoleum. Dont wanna do it but its a lease truck and i dont want to get spanked if its significantly worse in a few years.
So how do they deny coverage on a bumper to bumper warranty, when it is the bumpers that are the problem?

I would fight this one.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by sullyman
So how do they deny coverage on a bumper to bumper warranty, when it is the bumpers that are the problem?
They weasel out of it because it's not rusted through, it's just surface rust.

I would fight this one.
Since FoMoCo already denied his claim, he would have to lawyer up to take it to the next step. Probably not worth it over a bumper.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I would fight this one.
I have a friend who knows one of the owners of the dealership so that is my next move. RI is a small state

Quick Reply: Chrome is showing rust on 2011 F150