Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB antenna LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM
clw

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CB antenna LEDs

A buddy's got a bunch of individual LED bulbs, in pretty much every color. I have dual 4' antennas and was thinking of putting a light on top of each. The LEDs shouldn't cause any interference right? Also, should I go with amber, or red?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

i did it. i used amber because all the added lights are amber.

heres my write up

Originally Posted by 95stepside
ok so one more small project done. i mounted LEDs on the tips of my whips. heres a little run through.

heres the tips

i used these LEDs and the retainers that came with them

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320785865285...84.m1497.l2648

i ran the wires down the side of the antenna and slid 15mm heat shrink tube over it so the wires are hidden

theres a lump where i spliced wires but it still looks better than seeing the wires running down the side

i left a 6" or so pigtail on each and put bullet connectors on the ends for installing and removal

i dont have any lit up pics, they wont be installed for a while

it will cause some interference, but not that much
Old 05-16-2012, 03:29 AM
clw

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks pretty sweet
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello... To start. No I do not own a F150 let alone a ford.. Nothing against ford.. Just not my preference.. I did have two mustangs 79 and a 85.5 and loved them. Anyway I'm posting because I stumbled across this forum by means of searching for something else on the web.... We all been there before right.. Ha. But we do have something in common. That would be the CB radio. To answer your question. YES IT WILL cause interference. Especially if you run an amp with that radio. It will throw off your SWR and possibly burn up your radio..

You will need to tune the antenna and make sure they are matched if running dual. The lights are cool and all but what's more important? Looks or performance.

Now some background on me. I am what you call a radio junkie, I build and install custom Radio gear. I drive a big rig cross country for a living and my radio in my Pete put out over 1600 watts. Most off the shelf radios are under 4 watts... And thats just the setup in my rig... All of it was built by me. Minus the radio.

I just don't want to see you mess up your radio... Remember the antenna is the most important part... A 4 watt radio with the perfect antenna will talk most radios out here...

Thanks for allowing me to post and best of luck
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Die2end
Hello... To start. No I do not own a F150 let alone a ford.. Nothing against ford.. Just not my preference.. I did have two mustangs 79 and a 85.5 and loved them. Anyway I'm posting because I stumbled across this forum by means of searching for something else on the web.... We all been there before right.. Ha. But we do have something in common. That would be the CB radio. To answer your question. YES IT WILL cause interference. Especially if you run an amp with that radio. It will throw off your SWR and possibly burn up your radio..

You will need to tune the antenna and make sure they are matched if running dual. The lights are cool and all but what's more important? Looks or performance.

Now some background on me. I am what you call a radio junkie, I build and install custom Radio gear. I drive a big rig cross country for a living and my radio in my Pete put out over 1600 watts. Most off the shelf radios are under 4 watts... And thats just the setup in my rig... All of it was built by me. Minus the radio.

I just don't want to see you mess up your radio... Remember the antenna is the most important part... A 4 watt radio with the perfect antenna will talk most radios out here...

Thanks for allowing me to post and best of luck
Pm me man.... Id like to know How in the eff you did that.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice how much did your swr change?
Did you need to re-tune your antenna?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-5mm-Fla...item256a5d36ca

or 100 count
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-x-5mm-St...item35c06819bf

these are strawhat 11000mcd really bright, your link are for 5000mcd, standard leds. the strawhat has a 110 deg beem instead of 20deg standard, strawhat is better from the sides

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-5W-8mm-...item3cae14128e
this is da killer 8mm cd at 60,000mcd you will light the town.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290816839714
this is nice if you have a steel whip. no batterys, no 12v.

Last edited by estefan2020; 12-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply: CB antenna LEDs