Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian import

Old 01-19-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Canadian import

Is their anything to be aware of on a Canadian imported F150? Autocheck shows it was built and sold in Canada, then sold at auction, then passed US road inspection in sweet Grass MT. I remember seeing something about imported trucks somewhere on the forum but I can't find it now.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I went to buy my F150 recently, I was looking at used as well as new, and a good friend of mine who's opinion I hold in high esteem told me that I should avoid Canadian imports. From how he explains it, what tends to happen is that these trucks cannot be sold as normal in Canada, whether it be because they are lemons, have flood damage, or were in an accident. They are then sold on auction to a US dealer, and since some of the issues that can happen to them in Canada do not need to be reported the same way they do in the US, dealers here are passing them off as clean title used.

Now, I haven't done a lot of research to verify that, so take it with a grain of salt, but I made sure when I was looking that I moved on when I came across a Canadian import. Even in my own mind without what my friend told me, if they couldn't sell them in Canada, there's probably a reason.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Being a Canadian and having spent almost a year looking at used trucks in Western Canada the one really nasty used Ford would be anything in the Oxford White.

Oxford White is the leasing companies color for trucks typically found in Northern Alberta and BC used in the oil and gas industry.

My experience with them was lots of units with low miles but extremely high idle times.

The last one I considered was a 2015 F250 Oxford White with only 30,000 KMs on it.
Idle time was over 1500 hours on the meter. That show a truck to be equivalent to 80,000 km or 50,000 plus miles. So now we are talking long idle period in a sandy, dusty environment.

With the price of oil dropping as it did over the past 2 years a lot of companies closed and the trucks went to Auction.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:20 PM

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts

I bought a Canadian import and it has been a great truck. I've put 15,000 miles on it since I bought it and no problems. One of the reason Canadian trucks are imported is because the American dollar is so good that you can purchase a Canadian vehicle and import it for a profit.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the reply's! The truck is supposed to be on the lot tomorrow. I plan on checking real close for rust. But, I wouldn't think it would be any worse in Canada than buying a local truck but I'll look hard anyway. are their any issues with the gauges/speedo or can that all be programmed to US measures?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to sell my truck here in Alberta and the majority of people that are calling about it are US brokers. They are saying they are pocketing the exchange rate at the moment and bring down 5-10 trucks down at a time.

Got me thinking if a broker can take the vehicle down I might look into talking mine down. Even if I took a low 23,000 offer with the exchange rate I'd still be ahead.

As previously stated, white trucks are used and abused mostly in the oilfield. Some pewter/gold colored companies as well. A lot are good though. Anything from lower mainland BC might have more rust on it being closer to the ocean and the salt on the roads.

Good luck on the lot tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2017, 06:14 PM

The last year the truck was registered in CA looks like it was in Red Deer, AB. The it came across the border and landed in Sweet Grass Montana. Auto check does show it as a fleet or rental use. I'm no stranger to oil field trucks and I cant imagine this being in energy company fleet. Maybe a manager I guess. here it is http://www.20thcenturyford.com/used/...rchDepth=11:12

Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Tommy

Received 4,264 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Angus1
Thanks for the reply's! The truck is supposed to be on the lot tomorrow. I plan on checking real close for rust. But, I wouldn't think it would be any worse in Canada than buying a local truck but I'll look hard anyway. are their any issues with the gauges/speedo or can that all be programmed to US measures?

The gauge face can be swapped over to a MPH face
Also may or may not be a big deal to you but you cannot turn the DRL off with the cluster like you can on a US version

Last edited by Firerunner; 01-19-2017 at 06:42 PM. Reason: removed digital KM info (didn't realize the year of the truck)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it is in good shape. I need to figure out how to sell my truck down there. 36,000 US. No wonder these US brokers are going crazy. My truck is 90,000 miles but still have full ford warranty for another 12,000 miles, Same year, but with an ecoboost. I'd be over the moon to get 24000-25,000 US for it.

Enjoy the truck! I hate that I have to sell mine.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Well thats what they are asking. The most I will go is 32k or they can keep it. I have to many other options. KBB on it is a hair above 31k. And if the gauge faces haven't been changed they will have to do that to.

Search this Thread