Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you do headers on an ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 12:47 AM

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Can you do headers on an ecoboost?

I watched a few different Youtube videos recently where people put headers on a V6 mustang and it sounded amazing. Just curious if the same could be done to the Ecoboost F150 with good results. Here is the video I saw.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:06 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Sound-wise? No improvement.

Performance? Not enough improvement to justify the cost is what I've read.

Most modern exhaust systems are already close to top performance on the stock motor due to the need to meet CAFE requirements. From what I've read, before you can really do anything significant with the 3.5 eco, you need higher flow injectors. Don't know if the same is true for the 2.7 eco, and don't know which one you have.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

The stock exhaust is tuned for the best and most efficient performance of the engine. In this day and time of trying to get the best numbers for the consumer and the guv, why do you think Ford hasn't already done better than you can do ?
Old 09-28-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Come on man, the first thing a kid wants to do when he gets his new ride is slap some headers on that bad boy!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Are you looking for sound, performance, or both? I doubt you'll gain either with a header...I would start with researching downpipe upgrades.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (10-01-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That does not sound good IMO...

Anyway, you can get ported exhuast manifolds for your EcoBoost. Probably won't do much in terms of sound, though.

When you see the custom welded 'headers' for our trucks, they are meant for people with upgraded turbo setups etc.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

I mean you could take the turbo off, put headers on, and it might sound as bad as the mustang......
Old 09-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

You may get a different sound with headers on an EB, but I've yet to hear an ecoboost with a modified exhaust that sounded remotely "good". Seems like a lot of cost and work just for a sound anyway, and the performance gains will be minimal unless you've already spent thousands upgrading other parts. Your best performance upgrade will be a tuner, and it'll be the most noticeable upgrade you can make for the money.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Don't listen to these guys!! If you want good sound and have the upgraded stereo system.....you can pipe the fake engine noise to some huge outdoor speakers and mount them under the bed.
It'll even sound better than the 5.0!!

On a more serious note:
A lot of the reason the Ecoboost engines sound different is the exhaust sound is greatly influenced by passing through the turbos. Even the 3/4 and 1-ton diesels sound pretty lame for the same reason.
I prefer the EB performance, so I just accept that it's never going to have the V8 rumble of my past vehicles....I just can't think of anything to make it sound like what it seems you are wanting. You can surely make it perform even better...but the exhaust isn't ever going to sound like a V8.

The only bad-*** exhaust I've ever heard on a turbo V6 was a Subaru WRX STi with an aftermarket exhaust. Sitting in traffic, it even had a deep V8 rumble and didn't have any of the tin can noise at all when he pulled away. I'd put that exhaust on my EB, but I have no idea what brand it was.....I almost chased him down to ask.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx

The only bad-*** exhaust I've ever heard on a turbo V6 was a Subaru WRX STi with an aftermarket exhaust. Sitting in traffic, it even had a deep V8 rumble and didn't have any of the tin can noise at all when he pulled away. I'd put that exhaust on my EB, but I have no idea what brand it was.....I almost chased him down to ask.

Just want to clarify this as I have had a modified STi in the past. They are H4 engines with unequal length headers to a single scroll turbo. Thats why they "rumble" with the offset exhaust pulse. No way the ecoboost will ever sound like them.
The following users liked this post:
Kingofwylietx (09-28-2018)

Quick Reply: Can you do headers on an ecoboost?