General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cai or exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cai or exhaust

Plan on doing both over time but what should be done first in your opinion? I think I'm leaning towards exhaust first, but at the same time I just don't know? Any suggestions for me guys?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by timmyschaf
Plan on doing both over time but what should be done first in your opinion? I think I'm leaning towards exhaust first, but at the same time I just don't know? Any suggestions for me guys?
Hi.

What truck? As, if it's an 04+ 5.4 ( or 06+ 4.6 - anything that uses a slot-style MAF in fact) you will need to budget for a custom-tuned flash programmer to run a CAI safely. (Exception is a simple Airraid Junior or MIT). Exhaust needs no correction.

Goals? If it's perf, save yer money - neither mod provides any. More noise and improved looks? Sure - go for it, heeding the comment on tuning.

As for which first - entirely up to you - exhaust may be less expensive (depending) as it does not require a programmer.

good luck
MGD

Last edited by MGD; 03-27-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

I have the 09 platinum 5.4. Looking for more sound and looks, I think the dual rear exit would be nice looking. I do plan on getting a tuner as well eventually so that's not an issue but that won't be for awhile. So I guess with what your telling me I'm going exhaust first and waiting for the cai until I can get both the cai and a programmer?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:34 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by timmyschaf
I have the 09 platinum 5.4. Looking for more sound and looks, I think the dual rear exit would be nice looking. I do plan on getting a tuner as well eventually so that's not an issue but that won't be for awhile. So I guess with what your telling me I'm going exhaust first and waiting for the cai until I can get both the cai and a programmer?
Hi.

Yessir. You got it.

If an intake is in yer future to improve the engine bay appearance, when you order the custom tuning you specify exact brand and model CAI so the correct MAF transfer function for that intake can be embedded.

Here's a good read, btw ( Bill Cohron is the owner and lead tuner for PHP ):

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...highlight=2009

This should tell you just how good the factory intake ( and filter) is - and what a tiny minor 'tweak will do for it. AND - why a custom programmer is yer single biggest bang-fer-buck mod on these trucks.

Good luck
MGD
Old 03-27-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Running a CAI without a tune could cause your truck to run lean with the air to gas ratio being messed up and will cause issues down the road. exhausts are always nice. typically an exhaust or muffler shop can custom bend you one specific for your truck (and they are typically a lot cheaper than the bolt on versions available online). you can provide the muffler of your choice if you want one. MGD tends to let people know that Flowmaster (or Fartmaster in his terms) doesnt net you any gains whatsoever, they just tend to have a deep rumble. choice is completly up to you, as it is your truck bro. MGD knows his stuff, i tend to listen to his suggestions with a lot of stuff. he frequents many forums and has a lot of advice to hand out to those willing to listen.

Last edited by Kamison; 03-27-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: missing info added.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Since the goal (for now) is sound ...
Air intake system
  • you already have an efficient CAI. *Air drawn-in from fender well.
  • to add growl, do the Gotts mod'. *Remove the snorkle from the airbox.
  • this alone with give you the same performance gains (HP, FtLb, MPG) as the after-market CAIs that co$t $$$$$. *They also don't contribute to any performance gain.
Exhaust system
  • you already have a free-flowing exhaust system that's made of stainless steel. *Both muffler and resonator are straight-thru.
  • to add sound, replace the OEM muffler with an after-market stainless steel counterpart that is the same length or just remove the muffler and replace it with a stainless steel pipe. *Don't add any aluminized components.
  • this alone with give you the same performance gains (HP, FtLb, MPG) as the after-market exhaust systems that co$t $$$$$. *They also don't contribute to any performance gain.
Tune
  • this will be the performance gain mod' that comprises 99.9% of any gain. *Dyno' trumps mail-order, though co$ts more.
Save your $$$$$ for the tuner and tune(s).

Last edited by gDMJoe; 03-27-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM
MGD
former member

Originally Posted by Kamison
Running a CAI without a tune could cause your truck to run lean with the air to gas ratio being messed up and will cause issues down the road. exhausts are always nice. typically an exhaust or muffler shop can custom bend you one specific for your truck (and they are typically a lot cheaper than the bolt on versions available online). you can provide the muffler of your choice if you want one. MGD tends to let people know that Flowmaster (or Fartmaster in his terms) doesnt net you any gains whatsoever, they just tend to have a deep rumble. choice is completly up to you, as it is your truck bro. MGD knows his stuff, i tend to listen to his suggestions with a lot of stuff. he frequents many forums and has a lot of advice to hand out to those willing to listen.
Hi & thank-you sir!

You are indeed correct - these are very personal mods - and everyone has different tastes. I'm just trying to help folks make the best decisions they can when they are thinking of spending significant amounts of money on these things.

Asking questions like the OP is doing, and spending time up-front doing the research is the best thing one can do for himself/herself.

My personal dislike for Flowmaster's products has a bit of history. They do tend to sound good on older Ford's though (non-modular motors). At the end of the day, if you prefer their sound, and recognize their design limitations, that is all that matters.

Regards and Cheers!

MGD
Old 03-27-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Kamison - Running a CAI without a tune could cause your truck to run lean with the air to gas ratio being messed up and will cause issues down the road.
MisInformation. The intake system and MAF have more than enough adaptability to adjust and compensate.

Some may recommend a tune, HOWEVER, that's just so they can claim a performance gain from the CAI + tune. In actuality, the tune accounts for 99.9% of any performance gain.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys I will look into all this advise! Yeah if I don't have to spend an arm and a leg then I don't want to of course! Just trying to make the truck sound mean without going over the top and having it be too loud, and maybe netting an extra mpg or so. I know with the Mpgs it's all how you drive and I'm getting good gas mileage now, so I guess right now it's about making the truck mine and having a very nice rumble to her!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts

Id get the exhaust first, since the intake is mostly just sound, unless you have a tune.

I'd recommend the full race exhaust system. They put A TON of research and development into that thing and you get what you pay for. quality and power

that being said, I have a 4in heartthrob cat back and have liked that a lot. sounds great and looks sick especially since I dumped it after the rear axle. However, if the full race had been out when i bought an exhaust, id have that.

Last edited by avvblanc01; 03-27-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Cai or exhaust