Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying ESP, what will my aftermarket parts void on warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Buying ESP, what will my aftermarket parts void on warranty?

I have a white 14 Supercrew 4x4 I bought new. Always bought GM, but freaking love this truck. Plan to keep 8+ more years, probably give to oldest kid when they can drive. I have 33k miles and am going to buy an Extended Service Plan through Flood.

There are 4 levels of coverage. I'm leaning toward BaseCARE. Premium CARE is a lot of money, and if you look closely the top two tiers (Extra and Premium) list many items that don't apply (diesel), or things I have no problem doing.

Just wondering what items anyone can foresee a dealer denying claims on due to a 2" Fox coilover and AirLift Ultimate 5000 bags (installed myself) Suspension items like tie rods? Calipers? Leaf springs?

Mainly looking for engine, trans, transfer case, differentials, etc coverage. Things like HVAC and steering would be nice.

Last, about a year ago Walmart left my oil cap off and a funnel in my engine. Drove about 100 miles before I noticed (oil never ran low). Took to dealer and had them flush, clean bay and check everything over. Wondering if they would deny and engine claim years from now due to this? Dealer put note on work order they are not responsible for any long term damage. This was all 15k+ miles ago

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Magnuson Moss Warranty act "in theory" precludes them by law to deny warranty for aftermarket use unless it is proven said item caused a failure of a part under warranty.

Magnuson Moss Warranty act also has no enforcement provision clause and just gives grounds for you to sue against in Federal civil court if they deny warranty coverage and the aftermarket part was not the cause.

In the real world, it is going to depend cases by case, dealer by dealer with some better than others to know the difference between what your aftermarket parts are or are not contributing to a problem.

So dealers can go full retard the moment you come on a lot with a suspension mod and have issues of a drive related nature and just discount you outright. At the end of the day, there is a fair chance you can hold the bag for repair costs if they play hardball.