General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken brake bleeder, anyone ever tried to remove one

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Broken brake bleeder, anyone ever tried to remove one

Getting ready of a long trip and decided to do some maintenance, haven't ever changed the fluid in my brakes so I figured why not, got to my driver side rear wheel and the thing just twisted off. Figured I will go and get a extractor/ easy out kit, seems like the simplest solution, have also been soaking it with pb blaster to hopefully free up the grim holding it in. First time trying this so any other prep advice before I try? What about heat, is heating it up before I try a good idea?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

Well snapped the mother ****er off, looks like new caliper it is
Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Heat is bad. However, even though you have snapped it off, the metal is soft enough that you can carefully drill it out then use a mechanic's scribe to dig the threads out.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

That sucks man. They sell the smaller bleeder screws at the auto store if you can get that one out.

A good tip before you even try twisting the bleeder to.open it is tap the top of.it with the wrench. Just give it a few taps. That should help break it loose.

Remember when draining your old brake fluid to keep the master cylinder full of fluid. Do not let it empty. Start with that far passenger tire until it comes out clear and then do your other 3 bleeders keeping the master cylinder full.

Replacing old brake fluid is something a lot of people don't do. That fluid breaks down over time and loses it's properties.

Another thing to check is if. Your.fluid level is low don't just fill it.up. a low level indicates wear. Check your pads and rotors.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the tips guys, i think i didn't have the tip of the extractor bit in far enough, leaving to much showing. As soon as i started twisting out it just snapped leaving a good chunk still inside the bleeder, he actual blender didn't even budge.
Just gonna pick up a new caliper, advanced has reman ones for $40 after you give them back your old one so I'll just do that, already taking my truck into the shop to get a new hub put in and I'll just have them change the caliper and bleed the system while they got it on the lift
Old 02-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would'nt waste money now, Its not like it a road coarse car and afraid of boiling fluid are you?? If you are that worried change it when its due for pads. I am a mechanic, I I always tell people not to disturb something before a long trip, the reman, well are remans rebuilt by who? at pennies an hour somewhere. I have had leaks and seizing calipers sometimes within a week or day. a1cardone hell I even had a brand new wheel cyilnder leak before it left the bay. leave well enough alone unless you want a possible road trip failure.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 PM

I would be all for just leaving it alone but see I did something not so smart, after it broke off I came in and looked up if it was possible to bleed them if the bleeder is broke, saw on a random site that you can just bleed from the line, so I undid the line from the caliper and as soon as I pulled it out I realized all the fluid coming out of the caliper was being replaced with air and I had no way of getting that air out. So now my brakes are basically useless. So I think replacing the caliper and paying somebody to do it properly is my best bet now. Do you agree?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM
Chris

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
Thanks for the tips guys, i think i didn't have the tip of the extractor bit in far enough, leaving to much showing. As soon as i started twisting out it just snapped leaving a good chunk still inside the bleeder, he actual blender didn't even budge.
Just gonna pick up a new caliper, advanced has reman ones for $40 after you give them back your old one so I'll just do that, already taking my truck into the shop to get a new hub put in and I'll just have them change the caliper and bleed the system while they got it on the lift
the remans will be fine. all new pistons and seals.

ive got 4 new FENCO (reman) calipers. they work great. i went a head and replaced all 4 when i put new rotors and pads on. i had one caliper seize up so i said puck it! replace em all.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by madeSICC
<snip> So I think replacing the caliper and paying somebody to do it properly is my best bet now. Do you agree?
I'd think at this point it would actually be easier to run down to Autozone or somesuch, buy a caliper, and put it on yourself.
The hardest part is taking off the wheel, since you've already disconnected the brake line.
Not to mention driving it to the dealer without brakes is a bad idea, too.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 PM

I don't have a jack, and defiantly not one tall enough for.my truck or i would do it myself for sure. I moved to Alabama for work and didn't realize till i got down here that i forgot both my toolboxes in my mom's garage. So I'm pretty limited at the moment

Quick Reply: Broken brake bleeder, anyone ever tried to remove one