General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking and driving issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Braking and driving issue?

I'm unsure how to word this, but I will try to explain it the best I can.

I have a 2008 Ford F-150 STX SCab. I love it so far, however I have noticed something perhaps strange going on with it; either that or it was designed that way and I am not used to it.

Anyways, my concern is when I am in drive, everything is running fine, drives smooth and no funky sounds. However when I approach a stop (stop sign, semaphore, etc), I apply brakes like normal, and I noticed that if I step down on the brake all the way down and let off the brake, the truck doesn't do that thing cars do (starts creeping forward). HOWEVER I did notice if I DO NOT step down on the brake all the way and let off in the same fashion it creeps forward like cars normally do. I am not sure if this is a Ford thing or is something funky going on?

I drove a small POS car before this truck, so maybe I need to adjust. I just want to know if that's how the truck is supposed to behave? Only other vehicles besides my personal vehicle I have driven for an extended amount of time is a 2007 Dodge Charger and 2008 Chevy Tahoe for work, and neither behave in that fashion.

Forgot to mention that when it is doing this it is going from a COMPLETE stop to moving. So I will be at a light, completely stopped, and if I wanted to scoot up I usually would take my foot off the brake or half on the brake to creep up, but in the circumstances I have my brake pedal down all the way it doesn't function that way.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Underground Rock Hound

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

So you are trying to say that once at a complete stop your truck will not roll forwards at idle without applying the gas pedal?

This is a function of your torque converter and is not really anything to be concerned about as long as your tranny is not slipping. Check the tranny fluid. May be time for tranny service flush and fill.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jjayf
So you are trying to say that once at a complete stop your truck will not roll forwards at idle without applying the gas pedal?

This is a function of your torque converter and is not really anything to be concerned about as long as your tranny is not slipping. Check the tranny fluid. May be time for tranny service flush and fill.
Yes, that's exactly the issue. No tranny slip from when the extensive driving I have been doing on it. My girlfriends father also is very auto-savvy and he noticed no tranny slip.

It accelerates fine and no issues from what I can feel. Just a weird little thing I noticed the other day while at a stoplight. Not a huge issue for me driving wise, just want to be sure nothing is going to die on me/cost a ton in repairs

Forgot to mention I have the 4.6l in it
Old 09-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

I have a 5.4 and it does it also. Its normal.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:32 PM
VFL

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

My truck is the same. Something I wasn't used to before I bought this truck.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Gotcha! Thanks for the feedback guys appreciate it greatly!

Quick Reply: Braking and driving issue?