General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake squeal advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake squeal advice

I'm not new to turning a wrench or working on brakes. But after traveling on a dirt road began hearing a faint noise when coming to a stop. Was only at slow speeds, tho I simply thought dust. Washed the rig, giving extra attention to ask 4 corners. It got worse, way worse the past few days, developing after some miles and things have warmed up. I got into all 4 corners today, cleaning & regreasing. Pads, rotors, slide pins, etc. Found the front pads were bone dry with no grease on contract points. I figured that was my issue. Finished up & took for a test drive only to find the same hardcore squeal after some use. Light on the pedal or hard, coming to a stop at low speed & there it is. Plenty of meat on all the pads so its not a wear indicator. Anyone have some ideas as what it might be?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

When I replace brake pads, I was always told to put a couple dabs of grease on the any metal to metal removable pieces in the brake system. Even the retention clips can squeal if the right vibration shows up. I am no mechanic...so take this with a grain of salt.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Are they cheap pads? My fronts squeal off and on. They also put out a lot of brake dust. I have checked and everything seems to be fine so I've narrowed it down to the dealer put very cheap metallic pads on it when I bought it. I dont want to buy new pads if I dont need it but the squeal has been driving me nuts!
Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Did you check for a rock stuck in there somewhere..
Old 07-26-2017, 02:34 PM

Idk who replaced the pads or when. They aren't brand new so the dlr i bought from didn't replace them. There was a good amount of brake dust in the middle groove. Haven't had rig long enough to see how dirty they get the rims. No rocks in them. Put grease on all contact points, slide pins, retaining hrdwr. Might just be a cheap quality pad.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 691 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoSterling
Might just be a cheap quality pad.
This is my problem and I agree they are annoying. Cheap metallic pads will squeal quite a bit sometimes.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Although it's a bandaid fix, at least she currently stops quietly and I now know it's the rears that were causing the squeal. I picked up this Gunk product to try and narrow down fronts or rears. Applied to fronts first last week and no change. Off again today so the rears got it, in addition to scrubbing and cleaning up the rear hardware. Some life left in them and will replace whenever new pads go on. Took a nice long test drive, hitting the afternoon stop and go and some roads with consistent travel speeds. Never heard a sound out of the brakes the entire trip.

The following users liked this post:
LariatDude (08-01-2017)