Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block heater

Old 10-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Block heater

Hey guys, I’m a new F150 owner after being a GM man my whole driving life!! The question I’m asking is about the block heater. I picked up a 2016 Limited and I’m so happy with this new experience as I’ve never owned a truck before. Anyway I checked into this and it does in fact have a block heater, question is I can’t seem to locate the cord.
I’ve also been reading on here that many aren’t a fan of the block heater and don’t use it. I’m in Winnipeg and will defanately be needing one.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

My truck is a 2013 and the cord is in a dummy outlet just below the front grill. Bend you knees and you'll find it

I'm in Calgary and definitely use it!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by schmenke
My truck is a 2013 and the cord is in a dummy outlet just below the front grill. Bend you knees and you'll find it

Would you predict that the location you're suggesting is a common place to look in trucks a few years on either side of your 2013?
Old 10-19-2018, 09:01 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Weelman
Hey guys, I’m a new F150 owner after being a GM man my whole driving life!! The question I’m asking is about the block heater. I picked up a 2016 Limited and I’m so happy with this new experience as I’ve never owned a truck before. Anyway I checked into this and it does in fact have a block heater, question is I can’t seem to locate the cord.
I’ve also been reading on here that many aren’t a fan of the block heater and don’t use it. I’m in Winnipeg and will defanately be needing one.
Hey thanks for your reply, I will defanatley be on my knees checking for this, too funny.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

My Cord was behind the front bumper sitting on the rubber that forces the air up to the radiator with a cap over the end to hide the prongs on my 2013.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

2018 Fusion came with a block heater (Wisconsin car dealer traded). It's a plug on the bumper also.

I strongly suggest putting it on a timer (AC timer for the heavy duty use) and a cord of sufficient capacity, and run the timer for no more than 3 hours, you don't get any benefit after that.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:19 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
2018 Fusion came with a block heater (Wisconsin car dealer traded). It's a plug on the bumper also.

I strongly suggest putting it on a timer (AC timer for the heavy duty use) and a cord of sufficient capacity, and run the timer for no more than 3 hours, you don't get any benefit after that.
I use a timer on mine when I use it. Intermatic makes a good one that is grounded and rated for 20 amps.

Biggest thing is make sure your Extension cord is rated for it, I have a 12 gauge 50 footer just for the truck when it is parked outside.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I measured and the block heater draws about 410 watts of electricity on the 2.7l engine

Last edited by Silenze; 10-21-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Block heater

Originally Posted by schmenke

Well I took another look yesterday for this cord as suggested. I still don’t see a cord anywhere. Does anyone out there have a 2016, maybe a pic of where this is supposed to be might be better. It was suggested it being under the grill, but I just don’t see it.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 347 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Weelman

Well I took another look yesterday for this cord as suggested. I still don’t see a cord anywhere. Does anyone out there have a 2016, maybe a pic of where this is supposed to be might be better. It was suggested it being under the grill, but I just don’t see it.
Here's a bumper-removed photo of my 2017:

I don't seem to have one showing the plug hanging out of the OEM bumper, but that position relative to the intercooler shutters should give you somewhere to look. Ignore the forward-protruding brackets; those are for my aftermarket bumper, although they use the same mounting bolts and locations as the OEM bumper.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block heater