General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackout Fad

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Blackout Fad

I was wondering how many other Forumers think that this whole blackout fad (and 8 foot lift) is going to look stupid in a couple years. Don't get me wrong, I do like the look, but as trends in vehicles mods move on, sometimes you've shot your wad and you're stuck with a vehicle (in this case, an F-150) that looks a couple years behind the times. Think capri pants for girls, and plaid shorts on guys. Don't you have a picture of yourself, maybe five years ago, where you're thinking, "Thank god I cut my hair!" or a pic of your wife ten years ago in hip huggers? Or even ****ing "jeggings" last year?

It would seem to me, that to avoid updating your truck so often, that it would be wise to go with something timeless. The first thing that comes to my mind is chrome. I'm not a real flashy guy, so I'd never throw chrome all over my truck, but chrome wheels and bumpers have been cool since the hot rod days of old.

Does anyone else feel this way, and if not, we can agree to disagree. Can you guys think of any other styles that don't seem to "go out" over the years?
Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jacked up trucks will always be around,chrome is always good (if you like to polish I don't), I think clothes and hair styles come and go but truck styles seem to stick around much longer if some of them ever go away. JMO.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wizzard
Jacked up trucks will always be around,chrome is always good (if you like to polish I don't), I think clothes and hair styles come and go but truck styles seem to stick around much longer if some of them ever go away. JMO.
I guess jacked up trucks have always been around, it just seems to be much more prevalent of late.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:04 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt murdered out trucks and lifts will go anywhere in next ten to twenty years.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the big wheel fad needs to go. Its getting harder and harder to find nice 15's . I dont think the blacked out phase will end for a while. I remember back in 96 when i got my first truck, that black out headlight covers and taillight covers were just coming in. Blacked out lights, and windows with chrome wheels was the fad then. It hasnt changed.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't like the murdered out look at all. I think a majority blacked out truck with some chrome integrated looks the best on black trucks.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Heh, 'member'

Not a huge fan of the murdered out look but to each his own. I also dislike the huge 20+'' rims on a truck.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
Now im a Ford Girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 20's on my truck, they dont even look big at least to me. Either way i love a good murdered out look, but its a bit over used. Alot of people try to do it, and only some actually make it look good. I personally hate chrome, small parts on wheels is ok like a lip or something.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM

I'd like some eighteens or twenties, chrome (not super flashy), and some reasonably thick tires for the highway driving and speed bumps. Leave the chrome bumpers, and maybe a two inch drop. You'll never see me do this on my truck though because it's hard to be too cool with a bench front seat. I wish I could've found a Lariat with the kind of miles I've got at a decent price point.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 PM

I think if I ever did anything flashy, I'd do some paint like this. There is some that sparkles mostly green (rather than the rainbow) that I saw on a motorcycle at work that looked really good.

And some wheels like one of these.

Then I'd give it couple inch drop and some thinner rubber and call it good. Gotta ditch the bench seat first though, and reupholster in a darker color.

Quick Reply: Blackout Fad