Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black fiber glass piece under bumber?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Black fiber glass piece under bumber?

Ok guys, I hate to start a thread over this, but I gotta know. What is the black strip of plastic/fiber glass under my front bumper? Does it serve a purpose other than keeping me from pulling over some curbs? If I remove it will I lose 5 mpg or something ridiculous? Any info is much appreciated as always. Thanks, and feel free to smack me on the back of the head for asking this.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

not real sure what its actually for but it wont hurt anything if you take it off
Old 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Default black plastic under bumper

It is called an air dam its sole purpose is to divert air flowing under the truck be cause the underside is the least streamlinde part of the truck and to post those impressive mpg no. they have to squees every bit they canIf you took it off and all of your driving was high speed with a head wind you might notice a minnute decrease in mileage. In the real world I doubt you would see any mesurable differance. Bubbabud 2011 F150 XLT SC Ecoboost
Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbabud
It is called an air dam its sole purpose is to divert air flowing under the truck be cause the underside is the least streamlinde part of the truck and to post those impressive mpg no. they have to squees every bit they canIf you took it off and all of your driving was high speed with a head wind you might notice a minnute decrease in mileage. In the real world I doubt you would see any mesurable differance. Bubbabud 2011 F150 XLT SC Ecoboost
Ahh Haa! Got it. Thanks man. Think I'm gonna rip that sucker off, or maybe just drive over a median on my way to work, that should do it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black fiber glass piece under bumber?