General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed Rust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bed Rust

I just bought a 2006 F150 XL. It was used as a worktruck before I bought it. It has a plastic drop in bed liner in it now. This liner is almost new. I looked under the liner before I bought it and the bed is really scratched up. Some paint is worn off. There is some rust in the bed already but it is only surface rust at this point. I am going to keep the drop in but I want to do something with the bed before it starts to rust.

I was thinking about a DIY Herculiner roll on bed liner. I know the drop ins can wear paint off and trap water and create rust. I thought if I did the roll on then replaced the drop in I would be set. The roll on would protect and seal the current bed rust and also protect the bed from the drop in. How off are my thoughts on this?

Should I do some thing with the bed before I put on the roll on stuff? Will the roll on stuff stop future rust? Did not know if I should use some sort of paint/primer before the roll on.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.
Russ
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 PM

If your going to put in a spray liner I suggest you grind off the rust, pressure wash it/dry it.
Then line it to make sure you have no rust.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 PM

When I used the roll on stuff, we swept the bed out and then went at it with the sander. Gotta make sure you scuff the surface it good and proper for adhesion. After that, a quick wipe down with some IPA to clean and remove the dust.
Then hit it with the liner. We used the Rustoleum liner.
It does get scratched up with heavy use, but it should hold out pretty well with a drop in on top.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:07 PM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I have been planning to do this exact same thing soon. I was planning to use POR (paint over rust). Although I dont have any rust just little to no paint left under the drop in.

Quick Reply: Bed Rust