Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bed rails and tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default bed rails and tonneau covers

Hello,

I am still waiting for my first truck to be delivered and this is why I am asking such a silly question

I am working hard on narrowing down the list of tonneau covers to consider. I think I am mostly down to two types: something like BakFlip F1 or Extang SolidFold 2.0. I think I understand pros and cons of each - in theory, at least. It seems that one of the fundamental difference is that BakFlip leaves the edges of the bed ("bed rails"?) open while Extang covers them almost completely - because that cover sits on top of the bed edges.

What sort of capabilities do I lose with the cover like SolidFold 2.0? I have seen some people mentioning that there are some attachments/cleats/hooks or pockets that become inaccessible with such a cover. Can't find anything in the manual about the top part of the bed rails.

Could someone please explain me what is it that I won't be able to do when the cover sits on top of the bed?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

Stake pockets....6.5 and 8ft beds.....have to dig/find and cut out trim plastic on 5.5's
Old 03-12-2017, 03:12 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Osborne
Stake pockets....6.5 and 8ft beds.....have to dig/find and cut out trim plastic on 5.5's
5,5' for me. Now I see - they are not "publicly available", that's why I do not see them on the photos! I thought they were something standard like BoxLink things

If I understand correctly, the only functional accessory that exists and requires these pockets is a rack system. Assuming that I do not need to carry a ladder frequently, it seems this is something that would be useful for a kayak or canoe? But for those there are other options, I think. Is there anything I may regret about if I cover these pockets?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Factory wise... You wouldn't lose anything but the potential to cut & install bullrings/tie-downs. Or more specifically an over the lip cover would block these when down. I'd think you could still use rear tie downs (Hell possibly the front too) if you only had certain sections of the Extang folded up... but I am not sure what putting tie-downs in and the extang over it would do to allow water in the box.

I cut the pockets out on my 5'5 bed (Extremely easy to do particularly with the Bull Ring tool) and put in tie-down rings. These work with the Bakflip F1 I have. I've used them to tie down furniture/tall loads, spread a cargo net over a load, etc. The internal box tie-downs would have worked as well...