Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

beach+offroad tires-4x4=posible?

Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool beach+offroad tires-4x4=posible?

first of all i have 2 give myself credit on the name i think thats pretty clever should get alot of views. 2nd i live in florida i go to the beach almost every weekend and i drove on the beach a few weeks ago and almost got it stuck wich sucks cause i dont know if yall have ever drove on the beach at night and layed in the bed of the truck with a girl and watched the stars pretty much seals the deal now my truck is c-blocking me. if i add some offroad tires 2 my 2wd i should be able 2 drive on the beach right i figure if the tire is wide enough i should be ok but idk.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Bigger tires should seal the deal for you...by the way Jimmie J drives a Chevy don't he ??
Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

drop the air pressure down to about 10 PSI in each tire and you might be surprised what that 2wd can do in the sand. i see a few 2wd trucks put around the dunes where i live but you have to know your limitations, no hill climbing, dont stop too fast or start too fast ect. wider tires will help though for sure

Last edited by kozal01; 12-29-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see another Jimmie Johnson fan lol! I had my 97 cummins on the beach in North Carolina and I'm glad that it was 4wd. It has so much weight on the front it would just spin itself into the ground without it. I did put it in 2wd on the harder spots tho. I aired it down to 15psi in the front and 10 in the back. Like stated above put as wide a tire as you can fit, air it way down, know your limitations and dont stop in the soft stuff or gas it to quickly and I think it will go pretty good. Also get a winch and one of those sand anchor things just in case lol. Your so right about a girl, the beach, the back of a truck, and the stars lol. Good luck man!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by kozal01
drop the air pressure down to about 10 PSI in each tire and you might be surprised what that 2wd can do in the sand. i see a few 2wd trucks put around the dunes where i live but you have to know your limitations, no hill climbing, dont stop too fast or start too fast ect. wider tires will help though for sure

dont stop too fast or start too fast ect. Thats what she said...
Old 12-29-2010, 08:26 AM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, just take it easy, drop the air pressure down in the tires, it allows your tread on the tires to flatten out a bit and give you more contact patch with the ground.

Bring a shovel just in case. lol
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Oct 09 Truck of the Month

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Franchi
Yeah, just take it easy, drop the air pressure down, it allows your tread to flatten out a bit and give you more contact patch.

Bring a shovel just in case. lol
Again... That's what she said!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Oct 09 Truck of the Month

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's funny how as you get older priorities change. I would be worried about all that salty ocean spray corroding the frame, sand working it's way into bearings, etc.

Better rinse everything real good when you're done!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy's_Money
Again... That's what she said!
There's another one for ya!

Originally Posted by Daddy's_Money
Better rinse everything real good when you're done!
As Daddy's Money said before, "that's what she said!"
Old 12-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by 48lowesfan
first of all i have 2 give myself credit on the name i think thats pretty clever should get alot of views. 2nd i live in florida i go to the beach almost every weekend and i drove on the beach a few weeks ago and almost got it stuck wich sucks cause i dont know if yall have ever drove on the beach at night and layed in the bed of the truck with a girl and watched the stars pretty much seals the deal now my truck is c-blocking me. if i add some offroad tires 2 my 2wd i should be able 2 drive on the beach right i figure if the tire is wide enough i should be ok but idk.
Very clever! I had to make due without the truck when I got out there with a girl

Anyways, you do NOT want aggressive tires in sand. You need to float over sand, aggressive tires will just dig you in. I did better in sand with bald 235/75R15s than I do with my 31x10.50 A/Ts. You want tires that won't dig into the sand, so go as wide as you can, and get a more street oriented A/T than offroad (I have Wrangler Authority's, they could pass as mud tires if they had just slightly bigger voids) A/T. BFG Radial Long Trail T/As are what I've done best on sand with. None of this was aired down either, so I can't comment on how much better that will make any of this work.

Then you gotta know where not to stop too. If you can find somewhere with a plant or some grass to stop on, go there!

That's all I got! I'm in Florida too, all the sand around here is kinda a buzzkill haha there's no mud!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: beach+offroad tires-4x4=posible?