Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery weak test at dealer but brand new

Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery weak test at dealer but brand new

I bought a better for my F150 that had 60k on it about a month ago. I bought it at Advance Auto. I took it to a new ford dealer in our area for oil change and inspection. He called and told me I needed to replace battery as it tested like in the 600 area (can’t remember the exact number he gave me). I told him that that was strange as I just installed one a month ago after I bought the used truck. I told him I would take it somewhere else for an additional test. I took it to advance auto and watched them test it and it was in the 900’s I think. They said it did not need replacing. Is there anyway these batteries tests scores move around? I’m just trying to come up with some explanation before I call the general manager and complain. I’m feeling they were trying to screw me over. He did give me a printout from the apparent test. I had left the vehicle overnight prior to it get serviced but there were no electronics on that would have drained the battery. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jparr
I bought a better for my F150 that had 60k on it about a month ago. I bought it at Advance Auto. I took it to a new ford dealer in our area for oil change and inspection. He called and told me I needed to replace battery as it tested like in the 600 area (can’t remember the exact number he gave me). I told him that that was strange as I just installed one a month ago after I bought the used truck. I told him I would take it somewhere else for an additional test. I took it to advance auto and watched them test it and it was in the 900’s I think. They said it did not need replacing. Is there anyway these batteries tests scores move around? I’m just trying to come up with some explanation before I call the general manager and complain. I’m feeling they were trying to screw me over. He did give me a printout from the apparent test. I had left the vehicle overnight prior to it get serviced but there were no electronics on that would have drained the battery. Any advice is appreciated.
Are you having any electrical issues/gremlins/starting?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:09 PM

None at all
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Jparr
None at all
I guess now you might realize who's machine is calibrated properly.
The following users liked this post:
Jparr (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:59 AM
FlyFisher

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts

I just happened to find this article today while researching DIY battery testing and cold crank amp testing; then saw your post. Might be applicable, also an Interesting quick read...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...a2449/4243292/
Jparr (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1,278 Likes on 898 Posts

Batteries, or for that matter anything electrical, will often fail when brand new. But you have to remember, dealers don't make all that much profit from sales. It is repairs that bring in the money. I NEVER take my vehicles back to a dealer for anything unless they are paying for it under warranty.
Jparr (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:46 AM

Thanks guys. Great article Driftboater. Learned a few things. I also will take your advice marshallr and not return to dealers. Very disappointed and concerned for others who may get scammed.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 1,139 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
Batteries, or for that matter anything electrical, will often fail when brand new. But you have to remember, dealers don't make all that much profit from sales. It is repairs that bring in the money. I NEVER take my vehicles back to a dealer for anything unless they are paying for it under warranty.
Well that theory goes for anyone who makes a living servicing vehicles, dealer or independent. It's best for the customer to educate themselves on auto mechanics so they can protect themselves.
Jparr (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Incredibly I have a 2013 with the original battery still. I always take it to the dealer for oil changes and such. About every 3rd visit they tell me the battery is weak. Next 2 or 3 visits it's perfect. Go figure.
Same is true for the aliament. Sometimes they say it's good and then every other year it need to be fixed. Again, never did it yet and I'm still on the same original tires.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like I am not the only one that gets the sales pitch from the tech/salesman when I have my oil changed at the QuickLane at my favorite Ford dealership. One time my air filter is way past dirty, next time my wiper blades, seems like a regular scam for the uninformed or those too lazy to do the routine stuff themselves.

My wife takes her car to a local FastLube and falls for a three times normal priced upgrade of cabin or air filter. or something every time. Gave up discussing it about 20 years ago.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery weak test at dealer but brand new