General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bakflip vs Undercover vs Gator Tonneau Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:25 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bakflip vs Undercover vs Gator Tonneau Cover

So my last bed cover was a bakflip MX4, got it about 3 years ago for $650 through a vendor on here. They are a little more expensive now so looking at other options to make sure I get the best for my buck. Has anybody had experience with the Undercover Flex or the Gator covers? The Undercover is about $60 cheaper than I can get an MX4 right now, I think the Gator will also be about $60 cheaper as well but it looks identical to the MX4. Is there an obvious better of the 3 or would I be good with any of those options? My criteria for the cover is hard tri folding and low profile. (honestly I like the revolver x4 the best but afraid of someone trying to tear into it to steal something since it looks like a leather cover)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I had an MX4....now have an undercover flex. Does the trick and no complaints.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:40 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 136 Likes on 95 Posts

All Gator covers are simply relabeled covers from other brands. As far as I am aware they don't "make" any covers. Just make sure you are comparing the correct models as there are some slight differences that can matter.

Undercover Flex's and UltraFlex and ArmorFlex are all great options. We offer some great forum discounts on those as well if you care to PM for pricing.

If you don't need the cover to fold up to the cab take a look at the Lomax. Great value in a cover and its easily removed if you need to do that from time to time. Again, we offer some huge discounts on those as well.

Thanks,
Luke

Luke Kyle - Owner
Truck Alterations
http://www.truckalterations.com
luke@truckalterations.com
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Been happy with my gator. Only 5 months owned but works great. There are some more flush mounts but unless looking for perfection I feel it was money well spent.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 PM

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Stay away from the Gator Tailback which is a poly trifold. Mine leaks. They are sending me a replacement after I had to destroy my current one by drilling holes in it so it really leaks now.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cihmagnum
Stay away from the Gator Tailback which is a poly trifold. Mine leaks. They are sending me a replacement after I had to destroy my current one by drilling holes in it so it really leaks now.
I've had good luck with the gator efx. I didn't have the foam strip for the longest time and no normal rain got in from what I saw. If it did, it drained out.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 AM
USMC Veteran

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by truckalter
All Gator covers are simply relabeled covers from other brands. As far as I am aware they don't "make" any covers. Just make sure you are comparing the correct models as there are some slight differences that can matter.

Undercover Flex's and UltraFlex and ArmorFlex are all great options. We offer some great forum discounts on those as well if you care to PM for pricing.

If you don't need the cover to fold up to the cab take a look at the Lomax. Great value in a cover and its easily removed if you need to do that from time to time. Again, we offer some huge discounts on those as well.

Thanks,
Luke
I like the Lomax hard tri folding cover. Can you message me price? Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
truckalter (06-01-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Gator FX3 for 2 years. Nice looking cover, but had continuous problems with the tailgate seal curling up, the seal joints that are glued together coming apart, and the support rods constantly coming out of the plastic catch. I have a Bakflip MX4 now, and it’s head and shoulders better. There are no seals to come apart, I can close the tailgate without lifting the cover, and the support rods clip in.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like the look of the mx4 over most others, the ford cover is the other I am considering, I was told that you can also open and close the tailgate independent of the cover which is important to me. Between the two assuming the first is slightly cheaper which would you guys go for?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Put on a Bak Revolver.. awesome cover simple easy one person pretty water tight as well.

Quick Reply: Bakflip vs Undercover vs Gator Tonneau Cover