General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bakflip tonneau cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bakflip tonneau cover

Let me preface by saying; I'm posting this to inform, not for a replacement. My warranty is up.

I bought this Bakflip tonneau cover in Feb of 2014 for just under $800. When I received it, I was happy with the looks and quality of the cover. As you will see below, that judgement, may have been hasty. I noticed after 2 years of owning it, it started to sag in between the joints. This is when I discovered, the support structure is just glued, to the top. Overtime, the glue will seperate and render the cover useless.

Before you bash, as I've read in many of the Bakflip threads on here. Let me say this:

My truck is not garage kept, this would not matter anyways, as I work during the day. Since this is my only vehicle, I actually drive it. So it actually gets exposed to weather. But I keep it clean and well maintained.

I never placed any weight on top of the cover, whether it be folded up or not.

Yes, I expect an $800 accessory to last more than 2 years. I would believe the same for any accessory I place on my truck, whether it costs $20 or $800. This again speaks to the quality of the part.

Lastly, this is my fault. I didn't do enough research and took a friend's recommendation.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:35 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I guess I've never seen a soft cover last very long... BUT I am going by what I see as I have no personal experience with soft tonneau covers.
You bring up a good point about doing research but unfortunately it is difficult to even get that today as too many companies have inflated their rates through promotional means (discounts for ratings) etc...

All i can add is I have a Bakflip F1, bought in 2010 for about $800 +/-, and it is still going strong. Had 1 of the 'lip bumpers' peel off but that was my fault as I was dragging heavy pallets across it and it pulled the glue.

While granted your $800 cover should have performed/lasted longer... to compare to a $20 is a bit out there. but if you do find a $20 cover that will last 2 years... let me know. I'll get a couple of them
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM

It's not really a "soft" cover as there are/were a panel between the frame. The unfortunate part is that they were not riveted to the aluminum frame. I can't help but think the cover would have lasted longer if rivets instead of glue were used. It seems there was an awful lot of glue used and not enough reinforcements.

You're right about the $20 accessory being an unfair comparison. I wouldn't have cared so much if it failed after 2 years. I wish I could find $20 covers. That would be nice.

I kind of wonder if I can use the frame, modify it with more of a support structure and have the frame recovered for less than the price of a replacement.
The following users liked this post:
ABN Panzer (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Here's my story dealing BAK https://www.f150forum.com/f2/big-sho...stries-354049/

Guess I am glad that mine had a 3 year warranty.

Trying to recycle my X2, I broke it down as far as I could, but the vinyl is glued to the aluminum runners. After a year the glue is still WAY to strong to pull it loose. The small cloth strip though that runs along the bottom though that glue had given up, although that would have been easy enough to repair.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by TotenTeuful
It's not really a "soft" cover as there are/were a panel between the frame. The unfortunate part is that they were not riveted to the aluminum frame. I can't help but think the cover would have lasted longer if rivets instead of glue were used. It seems there was an awful lot of glue used and not enough reinforcements.

You're right about the $20 accessory being an unfair comparison. I wouldn't have cared so much if it failed after 2 years. I wish I could find $20 covers. That would be nice.

I kind of wonder if I can use the frame, modify it with more of a support structure and have the frame recovered for less than the price of a replacement.
Actually it's a soft cover because the material is a fabric, even if backed.

I have a Bakflip G2 that uses a poly covering (not soft, molded polyurethane and aluminum). As I understand it, it's probably going to last as long as the truck will. But hey, I'm like Jon Snow, I know nothing.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 PM

You maybe right. It's back with a piece of pressed styrofoam sandwiched between 2 pieces of aluminum. All held together with double side tape, not glue like I originally thought.

The funny thing about the whole thing, is my friend that recommend me to buy this "cover" had the same issue, with his G2 coming apart. He was lucky though, his warranty wasn't up.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Did you contact the company? Sometimes in cases like this, they will do a "good faith" warranty claim. It's worth a phone call to see what they say.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Did you contact the company? Sometimes in cases like this, they will do a "good faith" warranty claim. It's worth a phone call to see what they say.
I did. That's how I found out my warranty expired.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this the aluminum cover that folds back over itself> I just ordered one through my dealer, and am hoping it's not the same one. The one I have coming looks like it has a thermofoam insert, between 2 aluminum sheets. Man, I hope this is not the same one they are installing for me.

Kentucky MoMan

ETA: Yours looks like it is vinyl on top. The one I have coming is aluminum. Is this a different product. Perhaps an upgrade? IDK
Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

^ his is a different model
The following users liked this post:
Kentucky MoMan (08-15-2016)

Quick Reply: bakflip tonneau cover