Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVS or other bug deflector, worth it?

Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 AM
French Canadian Redneck

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts
Default AVS or other bug deflector, worth it?

So are the front of hood bug deflector worth it? I never used one...I wonder if the mess up the workings of wipers that require downforce to stick good to the windshield...
Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,115 Likes on 2,824 Posts

All of the bug deflectors I've had while yes they do keep the front of the hood clean, they deflect bugs right into the windshield
Old 08-09-2018, 07:46 AM
French Canadian Redneck

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Thank you...That is what I want to see...real life...I don’t particularily care for the look but if the function outweighs look then I re think it..
Old 08-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Back in the '90s I put a bug deflector on my first-ever-brand-new pickup. GMC stepside, beautiful dark blue. The deflector was dark gray smoke color, looked good, and blended in with the curves of the hood, etc. Back then I was one of those nut cases about keeping my truck looking brand new, always washed it every week, full detailed every month... you know the type
After about 9 months I noticed pine needles were getting in between the deflector and the hood, so I decided to take it off and clean under it.

Oh My God ….. the entire width of the hood lip had rusted out. I was devastated to say the least. Cost me 400 bucks to have the hood repaired and the moral of this story is NEVER AGAIN will I put a bug deflector on ANY of my vehicles. Live and learn my friend, live and learn.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I ordered a Stampede US Flag Bug Shield for my 2015 and the hardware supplied for mounting was junk. I am stuck trying to find new hardware because Real Truck said it is nonreturnable item. I tried contacting maufacturer but they have been unresponsive.
Support from Real Truck and Stampede has been very disappointing.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the AVS flush mount and got it mostly to stop rock chips and hide the ones already there. My truck is black so it's hard to even notice its there. Walking past the front of my chipped up hood (40K miles) each day pissed me off. This was an easy solution to that.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Ford OEM for me. Going on 2 years installed now. Love the fit, love the look. Mounted in about 15min via existing holes with add on clips for the ends. Based on the design, I have zero concern about debris collecting or rust issues.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wmsnyder
I ordered a Stampede US Flag Bug Shield for my 2015 and the hardware supplied for mounting was junk. I am stuck trying to find new hardware because Real Truck said it is nonreturnable item. I tried contacting maufacturer but they have been unresponsive.
Support from Real Truck and Stampede has been very disappointing.
I have the 2016 version of Stampede and no problems with mounting hardware. In fact the deflector has been great for 2 1/2 years of use and close to 30,000 miles not one issue. I bought it mainly for stopping the hood splash issue which it has done without fail. As far as bugs goes my grill and deflector have way more bug juice on them than my windshield does after road trips for what it's worth.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofish101
I have the 2016 version of Stampede and no problems with mounting hardware. In fact the deflector has been great for 2 1/2 years of use and close to 30,000 miles not one issue. I bought it mainly for stopping the hood splash issue which it has done without fail. As far as bugs goes my grill and deflector have way more bug juice on them than my windshield does after road trips for what it's worth.
the push pins provided were too small and would not hold the bug shield in place.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

They do nothing for bug protect or wind flow over their window. They are for decoration and for stone chip protection. I have a AVS low profile flush mount one too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AVS or other bug deflector, worth it?