Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto makers-why not offer more options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Auto makers-why not offer more options?

Does anyone think the auto makers could end up making more $$$$$ if they offered options that are mostly found of higher models to the lower ones?
As an example if I could have I sure would have ordered a heated wheel like I have on my 2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited. With my cold hands I sure like that heated wheel.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:31 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

If they offered it on a lower trim, what incentives would they have for people to buy a more expensive higher trim? Buy heated gloves or a heated steering wheel cover.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:51 PM
This space for rent

Received 401 Likes on 191 Posts

Pp

Last edited by Twin snail putput; 10-04-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Option packages simplify the assembly line process.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Received 1,000 Likes on 667 Posts

If they offered it on a lower trim, what incentives would they have for people to buy a more expensive higher trim?
Exactly, it is just to maximize profits. And I own Ford stock, so I approve.

But think about your cable bill. How many channels would you get rid of if it would reduce your bill?

I pay a ton of money for ESPN sports channels, plus sports licensing fees, etc. that I NEVER watch. Life is not fair, LOL, especially in business.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 PM
Persistance Is A Bitch

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The local Ford dealer has 80 XLT's and 2 Lariats. I am not sure I buy the notion that options found only on Lariats help them sell more Lariats.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
If they offered it on a lower trim, what incentives would they have for people to buy a more expensive higher trim? Buy heated gloves or a heated steering wheel cover.
I don't disagree with any of the comments. But I did not buy a higher model to get the heated wheel because I did not like the looks of the truck.
Heated wheel cover, interesting......
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

To each is their own. Billions and Billions is spent on market research and the studying of demographics. What they are doing is what makes them them sell as much as they do at the maximum profit level.
That's why I personally think Tesla will not survive purely as a online sales company. Yes 80% of there sales of 500,000 vehicles were sold online sight unseen. But I believe they will not be able the retain that number. Simply from the fact all my friends who bought them bought them because they are the type of people who want the lasers newest gadgets. Most of Americans don't.
The options you mentioned is the "sizzle". You don't sell the steak but you sell the "sizzle". You see more XLTs out there because that's what most Americans are buying, for a variety or reasons. But the add on "sizzle" is all the options that's make all the profits.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Weather Man
The local Ford dealer has 80 XLT's and 2 Lariats. I am not sure I buy the notion that options found only on Lariats help them sell more Lariats.
It’s why I got a Lariat. I could only get certain options on Lariat or higher, so I chose the Lariat.
I’m pretty certain that the options are about the only reason folks choose a higher trim...because they are willing to pay the higher price to get those features. Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

My local dealer has about twice as many XLT’s as they do the Lariat trim.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 902 Posts

One reason Fords model T was priced at a point where almost anyone could afford one because they were all exactly alike. Black was the only color option and it was chosen because black paint dried faster allowing the assembly line to move faster. There were other car builders before Ford, but their cars were much more expensive, partly because each was different.

I'm really the other way. I get tired of having to pay for options I don't want. If I were building the perfect truck it would be basically an XL with a few other options. But it is cheaper to just buy an XLT to get what I want.

Quick Reply: Auto makers-why not offer more options?