Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Noob

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Hey guys, I'm getting some new speakers and a new head unit so I am wanting to make sure everything is in order with my truck. My problem right now is I have a short in the front driver side speaker wire and it's somewhere in the rubber boot between the door and the body. I have some extra speaker wire laying around and was thinking of just cutting behind the short (inside the body) and splice a new wire and run it back through the boot. This brings me to my 2 questions: 1. Where do the wires go once the pass through the hole in the frame? I cannot find them under the dash or in the engine bay. and 2. do both of those wires run to the head unit? If so can I just rewire them from the plug and run them how i want? If not where do they run to? Sorry it's long but I appreciate any help. Thanks! **Truck is a 2003 F150 scab FX4

Last edited by fordguy2100; 07-08-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM

bump
Old 07-09-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 261 Likes on 163 Posts

If you DO NOT have a factory amp, yes, you can re-wire from the plug. When you are splicing your head units wire harness to the truck harness adapter, just do not splice in the speaker wires. They should be labelled on the new head unit harness. You can splice new speaker wire to the speaker outputs on the head unit harness, and run them to all of your speakers, or only the one speaker if you want to keep it simple.

because I am **** about my things, if I were running new wire to one speaker, I would run new wires to all of my speakers, but it will work fine if you use the factory wires on the remaining speakers and new wires on the one with the short.

if you DO have a factory amp, then you need to either locate your short to know where the issue is, or you will have to run new wires to all of your speakers and just completely bypass the factory amp all together. I'm not sure what kind of audio systems the 03 FX trucks had.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 07-09-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM

So what you are saying is run my new wire straight into the pin connector of the new headunit rather than splicing at the end of the factory connector? So my new wires would be running straight to the new head units 14 pin connector? and bypass the factory harness?

Quick Reply: Audio Noob