Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona says VIN on F150 frame doesn't match my title...I bought the truck new

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Arizona says VIN on F150 frame doesn't match my title...I bought the truck new

This is a 2003 Ford F-150 that we bought new.

Somebody rear ended me and the car had to be on a salvage title. I got a new bumper and went to the DMV to get it inspected to get the title restored.

The inspector asked me to step away and was looking around the truck. She then asked me if I got a new frame. I said no. She said that the frame vin number does not match the vin number on the rest of the truck and title. She also said she verified with another inspector. This does not make sense since this truck has been in our family since we bought it new.

I still believe the inspector is mistaken so I will be making another appointment and hopefully I get the new inspector that knows what they are talking about. However if there is push back does anyone know if the vin number on the frame is a complete Vin number or a partial? Or to shine any light on how this could happen? Maybe she read something wrong?

I also asked for the inspector to show me and she said she was not allowed to since it was one of the hidden vin #s.

Their solution was to get a new vin but I need to get windshield guy to come out and wait for me at the DMB, then remove the windshield, state to replace the vin behind the window, then for them to replace the windshield. That sounds complicated...

Thanks for the help!

TL;DR - Inspector said VIN on my frame doesn't match my title or truck but the truck has been in my family since we bought it new. Any reason why? or was the inspector mistaken?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Never heard of them checking that. I've always just seen people check the vin behind the windshield.

I know ford stamped VINs on the frame in the 70s but thought that went by the wayside when the new standard for VINs was created. Idk hopefully you just got a blind dyslexic inspector and the next one won't have an issue.

She said she can't show you the VIN on the frame? Or her paperwork? Regardless that sounds like bull... the truck is yours you have the right and ability to search it for VINs and if it's paperwork registered to you, should you not be able to see what it says?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

I can't provide a definite answer - but I don't think they stamp the frames with the VIN. I've heard them doing this on the older trucks but stopped in the 1980's once the VIN formatting became standardized. They might stamp it with some production identification number though. The DMV should be referring to the VIN code under windshield, since that serves as the main way to identify a vehicle (used for titling, inspections, etc).

Hopefully someone else will chip in to verify if they stamp the frame or not
Old 10-11-2018, 08:59 AM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Never heard of them checking that. I've always just seen people check the vin behind the windshield.

I know ford stamped VINs on the frame in the 70s but thought that went by the wayside when the new standard for VINs was created. Idk hopefully you just got a blind dyslexic inspector and the next one won't have an issue.

She said she can't show you the VIN on the frame? Or her paperwork? Regardless that sounds like bull... the truck is yours you have the right and ability to search it for VINs and if it's paperwork registered to you, should you not be able to see what it says?
vins are hidden for a law enforcement reason, not sure what “right” you are referring to? There are lots of things that go on in our cars, that we do not know about.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 446 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker

vins are hidden for a law enforcement reason, not sure what “right” you are referring to? There are lots of things that go on in our cars, that we do not know about.
Wouldn't he have the right to know about a stamping on his property that is now causing him a problem? Law Enforcement doesn't own his vehicle, yet they (the gov't in general) are denying him title to his property and telling him that they have evidence that they will not disclose to him. That doesn't sound kosher.

As for "hidden", a quick Google-Foo will show where all of the stampings are.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...mg.eL_7GXuydpM
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldyGopher
Wouldn't he have the right to know about a stamping on his property that is now causing him a problem? Law Enforcement doesn't own his vehicle, yet they (the gov't in general) are denying him title to his property and telling him that they have evidence that they will not disclose to him. That doesn't sound kosher.

As for "hidden", a quick Google-Foo will show where all of the stampings are.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...mg.eL_7GXuydpM
Sorry, I assumed that everyone knew there were hidden VIN places on your vehicle. My short answer to you is, no. Then he or others would know where to go change! BTW law enforcement did not put it there! The issue is not that it was hidden from him for years, its that it does not match. He has a paper trail to prove his ownership. Apparently, there was a snafu! Whether you agree or not, ...............
Old 10-12-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

The frame SNs can be VERY hard to read; especially if the body is still on.

(phone app link)

And it's just a SN; not a full 17-digit VIN, though it's the last 8 digits of the VIN.

(phone app link)

On that one, the last digit isn't visible AT ALL, even after all the cleaning. It would take acid-etching to raise it, like is sometimes done on guns whose SNs have been ground away. But Ford has consistently stamped frames in the same locations: passenger rail top under the firewall, and passenger rail top under the front seat.

(phone app link)

Those are commonly-known. There are others that I won't describe.

Last edited by Steve83; 10-12-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

Someone rear ending you caused it to have a salvage title? Unless it got deemed by your insurance to be a total loss and you bought it back from them, how would it have a salvage title?
Old 10-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Unless the OP returns with a few answers like why a salvage title is needed when replacing a bumper, "the inspector asked me to step away" etc., I call BS.

Here's hoping I'm wrong but this is nothing more than a troll post.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

exactly, this sounds like a fishy scenario. We bought the car brand new, but it has a salvage title from a fender bender. Hmm... let me guess the repair was quite a bit more than just a small bumper.

Quick Reply: Arizona says VIN on F150 frame doesn't match my title...I bought the truck new