General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone owning pre 2004 F150s or Ford vehilces

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Anyone owning pre 2004 F150s or Ford vehilces

Not sure if this topic has been posted about already, but my sister called me the other night as she knows I have an F150. A person she knows had their F150 burst into flames and burn down not only itself but two cars parked next to it. I looked into it and it seems like this issue has been prevalent in early 90s to 2003 model Ford Vehicles.

This seems to be pretty old news but I had never heard of it until now so I assume many of u haven't either.
Seems like its related to the type of Cruise control relay they used in some vehicles? Below are some links I found.

http://www.fordlemon.com/flamingford.html
http://www.flamingfords.info/zFTCLaterModels.html

Last edited by Buck; 03-07-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I own a 1996 F150 and there is a recall on the cruise control sensor in the master cylinder. It can short out causing it to catch fire. I believe many members here are aware of this issue. I was not aware that the recall applied all the way to the 2003 models.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:53 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I figured people probably knew about it, but wanted to make sure this info was out there in case some didn't know about it. I had never heard about it before this. Its pretty crazy.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 F-150. I had the recall service done. The issue is with the cruise controll harness that runs underneath or near the Master cylinder. Brake fluid is flammable and if it leaks on to the harness there's a high chance of it catching on fire. Their solution is to replace that section of harness for one that has fusable links on it and long enough to run and tie it away from the Master cylinder.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 PM

i have a 2002 also but when i gave them my vin there was no recalls on my truck
Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Weldy81
I Brake fluid is flammable and if it leaks on to the harness there's a high chance of it catching on fire.

I think the issue is shorting out of the harness/connector rather than brake fluid itself being highly flammamble, which I don't believe it is.

Would they really put a "highly flammable" substance in a system such as brakes where high temps are generated when said system is in use?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
old school

the issue was that the trucks with cruise had a CC module that would stay "on" after the truck was turned off - it would heat up and cause a fire...

it was mounted right next to and "on" the brake master cyl.

the recall involved a new bracket - (to move the module)

and

a redesigned module...

a neighbor burnt their house down in 2001 when they came home from work and parked in the garage...

about an hour later the house was engulphed in flames!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whitetrucks
I think the issue is shorting out of the harness/connector rather than brake fluid itself being highly flammamble, which I don't believe it is.

Would they really put a "highly flammable" substance in a system such as brakes where high temps are generated when said system is in use?
Originally Posted by dragbikemike
the issue was that the trucks with cruise had a CC module that would stay "on" after the truck was turned off - it would heat up and cause a fire...

it was mounted right next to and "on" the brake master cyl.

the recall involved a new bracket - (to move the module)

and

a redesigned module...

a neighbor burnt their house down in 2001 when they came home from work and parked in the garage...

about an hour later the house was engulphed in flames!
My understanding of the problem, in my model year of 1996, is that there is a pulse sensor on the master cylinder that is in direct contact with the brake fluid. This sensor wears out, from being flexed every time you hit your brake pedal - even when the cruise control is off, and can short out and ignite the brake fluid.

Here is an entry from Wikipedia:

"Brake fluid is not considered a "top up" fluid. If it is low, there is usually a problem. Brake fluid level in the master cylinder will drop as the linings (pads or shoes) wear and the calipers or wheel cylinders extend further to compensate. Brake fluid level may also be low because of a leak, which could result in a loss of hydraulic pressure and consequently, a loss of braking ability. As a general rule, brake fluids with different DOT ratings should not be mixed.

Brake fluid can be dangerous as it is toxic and highly flammable. It will also lift or strip paints and other coatings on contact."
Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks for re-affirming my statement with that info from Wikipedia. Also I don't disagree that it's a module problem as well because when the fluid gets on electrical parts it then become a conductor and cause a short just like running a pos to grnd. Which would also explain why on certain model years that they would have to move the location of the relays as well re-routing the harness.

You'd think with all the years effected they would have realized the problem sooner.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by drenal
i have a 2002 also but when i gave them my vin there was no recalls on my truck
Do you have CC on your truck, cause if you do I would double check. My old '02 F150 was part of the recall. Most likely the dealer not wanting to service your truck. Here's a quick blurb about the recall on 2002 models.

http://www.automotive.com/2002/49/fo...alls/6458.html

From my understanding of the issue the problem was partly the brake cylinder and partly the CC switch. The CC switch is always Live, whether the CC is on/off or even if the truck is on/off. Over the years this wiring gets worn and the smallest amounts of brake fluid can seep into the cracks causing a spark. This can lead to the engine compartment catching fire and the rest is history. Ford has basically issued a recall where a fuse/bypass is installed, so if a short is detected it blows the fuse and no power is sent to the CC.

Quick Reply: Anyone owning pre 2004 F150s or Ford vehilces