Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else hate modern features?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 03:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone else hate modern features?

I hate all these modern features, including: backup cameras, beeping sounds, ***** to assist backing up a trailer, power windows, automatic transmissions, crappy phone integration, crappy GPS integration, crappy music player integration, TV screens, emergency phone calling bull****, cruise control, automatic headlight dimming, automatic engine start and stop, any AI that listens to or talks to me, self-parking, self-driving... and probably more.

I just want a truck that I can be in control of with as little propietary computerized crap, feature creep, a unnecessary complication as possible.

At the moment it seems like my choices for a truck are:
- buy a new piece of **** and disable as much of the crap as possible, or
- buy and old piece of **** and try to patch the rust holes as long as possible, while burning 2-3x more fuel

Anyone else feel in the same boat and how do you deal with this dilemma? Any hope for a return to simpler trucks in the future?

Currently I only have a car. It's much easier to opt for an older car as many of them were actually better on fuel economy than modern cars, they had much nicer designs, and their availablity and condition (at least around here) seems better than older trucks. But alas I am in need of a truck.... Leaning towards an F150 (old or new) as I dislike them less than any of the competitors.

Last edited by jon3; 05-23-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Popular Reply

05-24-2018, 12:19 PM
wizwor

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jon3
Maybe if we complain enough the manufacturers will do something about it. I believe most people are buying these features just because they have almost no other choice and actually dislike them.
Made me think of this...

Difference Between Liberals & Conservatives

If a conservative doesn’t like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a person of color is conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.
Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don’t like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.
A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced. (Unless it’s a foreign religion, of course!)

If a conservative decides he needs healthcare, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that providesit.
A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative slips and falls in a store, he gets up, laughs and is embarrassed.
If a liberal slips and falls, he grabs his neck, moans like he's in labor and then sues.

If a conservative reads this, he'll show it to his friends and have a good laugh.
A liberal will delete it because he's "offended
Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 PM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

Sounds like you need to buy a XL truck. That won't have all the bells and whistles.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I hate all these modern features, including: backup cameras, beeping sounds, ***** to assist backing up a trailer, power windows, automatic transmissions, crappy phone integration, crappy GPS integration, crappy music player integration, TV screens, emergency phone calling bull****, cruise control, automatic headlight dimming, automatic engine start and stop, any AI that listens to or talks to me, self-parking, self-driving... and probably more.

I just want a truck that I can be in control of with as little propietary computerized crap, feature creep, a unnecessary complication as possible.

At the moment it seems like my choices for a truck are:
- buy a new piece of **** and disable as much of the crap as possible, or
- buy and old piece of **** and try to patch the rust holes as long as possible, while burning 2-3x more fuel

Anyone else feel in the same boat and how do you deal with this dilemma? Any hope for a return to simpler trucks in the future?

Currently I only have a car. It's much easier to opt for an older car as many of them were actually better on fuel economy than modern cars, they had much nicer designs, and their availablity and condition (at least around here) seems better than older trucks. But alas I am in need of a truck.... Leaning towards an F150 (old or new) as I dislike them less than any of the competitors.
So do you also want VHS tapes, cassettes, rabbit ear antennas and rotary phones to make a comeback? You keep mentioning crappy in regards to all the technology but I don't feel any of mine are that. All the technology on my truck works flawlessly so far and it makes my driving experience more pleasant. Some of the computerized stuff is actually making the vehicle safer to drive as well. To each his own, but you are going to find as time goes on that even more technology is going to be built in to vehicles, not taken out of them.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

There are a few people on the forum that despise them, and complain constantly. The forum members encourage them to not bother posting because nobody wants to hear it. Lee is one I can think of.

You cannot buy any vehicle nowadays without some of those features that you hate, so you should not buy anything in the last 15 years or so.

Last edited by Ricktwuhk; 05-23-2018 at 07:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
BCMIF150 (05-24-2018), toostroked (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by tuflehundon
Sounds like you need to buy a XL truck. That won't have all the bells and whistles.
Unfortunately the 2018 XL has a rearview camera. If it wasn't for that I'd be a lot more intrigued.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Unfortunately the 2018 XL has a rearview camera. If it wasn't for that I'd be a lot more intrigued.
Don't look at the picture it shows...
The following users liked this post:
austingta (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by DK in NC
So do you also want VHS tapes, cassettes, rabbit ear antennas and rotary phones to make a comeback? You keep mentioning crappy in regards to all the technology but I don't feel any of mine are that. All the technology on my truck works flawlessly so far and it makes my driving experience more pleasant. Some of the computerized stuff is actually making the vehicle safer to drive as well. To each his own, but you are going to find as time goes on that even more technology is going to be built in to vehicles, not taken out of them.
Non sequitur. I just want a truck to be a truck, not a truck + GPS + phone + music player + email client + internet browser + whatever else. We call that feature creep in my industry when one thing ends up doing everything poorly rather than excelling at one thing (being a truck). I already have a music player, GPS, and phone that are much better than SYNC (which really is crap in comparison) so I have no desire to have SYNC! As for safety, the biggest factor is the driver. A lot of the computerized stuff actually distracts the driver or makes him a worse driver.
The following 2 users liked this post by jon3:
JCR 56 (05-23-2018), toostroked (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

I have to have air and cruise and I've kind of got used to power windows, but every thing else they can keep. Now that's just me, my daughters and SIL's like that kind of stuff, but I don't want or need it.
toostroked (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
There are a few people on the forum that despise them, and complain constantly. The forum members encourage them to not both posting because nobody wants to hear it. Lee is one I can think of.

You cannot buy any vehicle nowadays without some of those features that you hate, so you should not buy anything in the last 15 years or so.
Maybe if we complain enough the manufacturers will do something about it. I believe most people are buying these features just because they have almost no other choice and actually dislike them.
Blank102 (06-12-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:23 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I enjoy the irony of people posting how much they detest “technology” on the internet. Lose the computer, the cell phone, and ALL the tech in your life, and buy a 1972 F100 with a granny gear 4 speed and a straight 6. Oh, and best move to Idaho while you at it. Me personally, give me tech, tech, and more tech! I just wish Ford would get off their hand’s and give the option of that nifty by-turbo coyote!

Last edited by elfiero; 05-23-2018 at 04:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elfiero:
Ric27 (06-16-2018), Summers22 (05-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Anyone else hate modern features?