General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying backseat knock/rattle (2017)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 10:18 AM
Busted Knuckles

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Annoying backseat knock/rattle (2017)

I have a new 2017 screw and shortly after bringing it home I was annoyed by a rattling/knocking noise coming from the interior of both sides of the back corners. As it turns out it is the seat belt shoulder hangers rattling on the bolt posts at the bracket mount behind the plastic. My kid found the noise when we drove down a bumpy road.

The bolt post holding the shoulder belt restraining bracket allows the bracket to spin freely by design however there is just enough play to let it rattle when going over bumps. The inside diameter of the seat belt bracket and the outside diameter of the bolt post are not a perfect fit. Since it is behind the plastic it sounds like the noise is inside the door, behind the seat, etc.

To solve I ended up wrapping teflon tape around the backside of the bracket between the bracket and the spacer/washer. It is just enough space to get one wrap of the tape between the two.

I think this is the recall version of the rear seat belts and the bracket is new as well since its part of the belt. Im thinking the new part sucks and needs some new vernier caliper treatment.

I also suspect that the dealer will not do anything about it as its safety related, some technical bulletin will need to come out first or the recall part will need redesign with a tighter fit.

The plastic pops off easily, just wiggle and pull at the same time. Take a 6 inch piece of teflon plumbers tape and wrap it around the backside making sure to get it pinched between the shoulder belt bracket and the spacer washer behind it. You might have to turn the bracket while pulling both ends of the tape to get it to slide in there. Its like flossing your teeth. It only takes one wrap and I left the rest of the teflon tape hanging there since its behind the plastic.

This so-called fix does not affect the safety of the belt or bracket it simply tightens up the fit at the shoulder mount bracket so it doesn't bounce around when hitting bumps.

Your nerves will thank you :-)

Last edited by gkoenig; 03-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sirikenewtron (04-06-2020)
Old 03-01-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I've noticed some bizarre sound from the rear passenger window/seat belt area too.

Can you post a pic of what exactly you did?

Originally Posted by gkoenig
I have a new 2017 screw and shortly after bringing it home I was annoyed by a rattling/knocking noise coming from the interior of both sides of the back corners. As it turns out it is the seat belt shoulder hangers rattling on the bolt posts at the bracket mount behind the plastic. My kid found the noise when we drove down a bumpy road.

The bolt post holding the shoulder belt restraining bracket allows the bracket to spin freely by design however there is just enough play to let it rattle when going over bumps. The inside diameter of the seat belt bracket and the outside diameter of the bolt post are not a perfect fit. Since it is behind the plastic it sounds like the noise is inside the door, behind the seat, etc.

To solve I ended up wrapping teflon tape around the backside of the bracket between the bracket and the spacer/washer. It is just enough space to get one wrap of the tape between the two.

I think this is the recall version of the rear seat belts and the bracket is new as well since its part of the belt. Im thinking the new part sucks and needs some new vernier caliper treatment.

I also suspect that the dealer will not do anything about it as its safety related, some technical bulletin will need to come out first or the recall part will need redesign with a tighter fit.

The plastic pops off easily, just wiggle and pull at the same time. Take a 6 inch piece of teflon plumbers tape and wrap it around the backside making sure to get it pinched between the shoulder belt bracket and the spacer washer behind it. You might have to turn the bracket while pulling both ends of the tape to get it to side in there. Its like flossing your teeth. It only takes one wrap and I left the rest of the teflon tape hanging there since its behind the plastic.

This so-called fix does not affect the safety of the belt or bracket it simply tightens up the fit at the shoulder mount bracket so it doesn't bounce around when hitting bumps.

Your nerves will thank you :-)
Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Busted Knuckles

Teflon tape squished between seatbelt shoulder bracket and bolt post
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Kinda did something very similar on my left side bolt. Still something making a knock or pop sometimes during start stop and right turn. Gentle sharp bumps cause it too. Still looking.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:44 PM
Busted Knuckles

I also suspect the rear door latches at the door jambs might be making noise too, if you lift up on the bottom rear corner of the door when it's closed you can get it to make all sorts of noise at the latch.
I think the aluminum screw with a sunroof is gonna make more noise than other trucks when flexing.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:15 AM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by YEGdude
I've noticed some bizarre sound from the rear passenger window/seat belt area too.

Can you post a pic of what exactly you did?
I had a sound in the rear passenger area that was driving me crazy for months. I pulled onto the shoulder of the highway several times looking, shaking the truck, etc., and FINALLY FOUND IT.

Behind the rear passenger seat in my Supercrew is where the jack is stored. The jack was rattling. So happy I finally found it. I never put the jack back. Just left it under the seat for now.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Busted Knuckles

Funny you mention the jack, I have been fighting that noise too, just wrapped friction tape around the mounting pegs on the floor, seems good for now.
Florida_F150 (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 07:09 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Funny you mention the jack, I have been fighting that noise too, just wrapped friction tape around the mounting pegs on the floor, seems good for now.
Cool. Yeah I never paid attention to exactly what about the jack was making the noise, but once I took it out, the noise was gone. It was *really* annoying. A constant fast-paced clackety noise especially if you were going over sort of washboard pavement with lots of frequent little bumps. So happy it's fixed.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:41 PM
Busted Knuckles

The muffled knocking was the door latches, I wrapped friction tape around all four door jamb latch bars/catches and viola, i have a quiet truck again!

It took a good 4-5 wraps, you have to fill the inside diameter of the latch itself so it doesn't have room to move around.

Jack, seat belt shoulder hangers, and door latches, what a PITA.

Ford needs to start including friction tape with the owners manual!

Last edited by gkoenig; 03-06-2018 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gkoenig:
BlackBoosted (12-11-2019), Florida_F150 (03-06-2018)
Old 09-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The muffled knocking was the door latches, I wrapped friction tape around all four door jamb latch bars/catches and viola, i have a quiet truck again!

It took a good 4-5 wraps, you have to fill the inside diameter of the latch itself so it doesn't have room to move around.

Jack, seat belt shoulder hangers, and door latches, what a PITA.

Ford needs to start including friction tape with the owners manual!
Can you post up some pictures of where you put the friction tape on the door latches and jack mounts?
BlackBoosted (12-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Annoying backseat knock/rattle (2017)