Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on F150 FX4 Engine Rebuild

Old 04-11-2016, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice needed on F150 FX4 Engine Rebuild

Hey I'm new here, I'm looking for advice on a long expensive project. I have a 2004 Ford F 150 FX4. I just replaced cam phasers, timing chain, and put new cams in it. Truck ran great, I drove it to town about 30 miles away, and oil pressure dropped to zero. I thought maybe wire had came off, so I decided to drive it home. Well the engine locked up in my driveway, but I made it.
So now I am looking at rebuilding this engine. I have rebuild 5.4 engines before with the help of local machine shops.
My question is, I want more power, than stock, I am asking for advice on things I can do thru this rebuild to maybe get 100 HP now, and maybe later bolt on a blower. Power and fuel mileage, are very important. I need good fuel mileage on the road, and lots more towing power when I need it.
I have not taken this engine apart yet. But if its to badly damaged I will buy a used engine, and build it.
Some questions I have,
1 If I got a Nav 4V engine, would it work in my truck?
This project based on my time and money may take a year to complete. I have a Expedition that I rebuilt last year to do my towing with until I get this back running. It was a 2v engine. My f150 has the 3V,. Sad thing is I just replaced to cam phasers and cams and timing chain. Now I have a locked up engine.
Any Advise other than buy a Chevy, would be helpful. I will kick you in the knee, if you say buy a Chevy, Them there are fighten words. LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 03:14 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

No disrespect meant BUT driving 30 miles with out oil pressure especially on an engine that you just worked on was a stupid costly mistake. Unless you were just looking for an excuse to hot rod rebuild it.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:10 AM

Default Reply

Yes it sure was. My reasoning was I had a problem with the wire for oil pressure coming off, while it was in my garage. So I thought it had come off again. But No, I had fixed that problem. It really was no oil pressure. Bad mistake.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

The 4v navi motor will work. You will need pcm and harness. The heads are the unusual weak spot on those motors. Normally 4v motors heads flow amazingly well. But if you plan on boosting, and you have access to a navi motor, I would go with it. Forge the bottom end, and have the heads done, slap on a charger, and tell us how it goes.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM

Thank You. How much HP increase with the 4V engine, if I don't get the blower right away?
Old 04-11-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Not sure what the 3v 5.4 put out but the early 4vs put out 300hp, I think the newer ones put out closer to 350

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on F150 FX4 Engine Rebuild