General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding lights to the cargo box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding lights to the cargo box?

There is a set of LED flood lights on sale that come with the wiring and a switch. How hard is it to set these up in the box of a truck? Is there a power supply close by that I could use. I'm not very good with electrical work and some of the searches I've done seem pretty complicated. I just want to add some light under the tonneau and I'm not sure if I can pull this off without making a complete mess! lol
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After going shopping with my wife one night last week, I want to do the same thing. With the cover on and the bed liner done, the bed is like a black hole at night! Any ideas?
Old 11-07-2010, 05:59 PM

I know they sell actual kits for this but they are pricey, the kit I'm looking at is under 20$.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:13 PM

oh nice i want to do this to my truck to what kit are you looking at?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 PM

It's an LED fog light kit with all the hookups. Two rectangular lights with 6 LED's in each one. The brackets to attach them swivel to, so I could point then wherever. I'm just not sure how to hook them up.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same in my dads truck with 4 18" LED strip lights, I just ran a wire to the battery from the bed to the engine compartment. The wire goes to a waterproof switch hidden under the rail cap and then provides illumination from the lights also hidden under it. Looks great at night.
To get to the switch I ran the wires over the top of the gas tank, and then to get to the front of the truck, we ran the wires along the frame and followed ford-installed wiring to the battery.
We also then added a blue LED to the cab of the truck so we would be able to see if the lights were left on during the day.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea its simple, just mount the lights where you want them, run your red/white wire to the switch, then to the battery and run the black to ground, you could probly just screw it to the bed or to the frame for ground, make sure you have a fuse connected somewhere between the battery and the switch

my idea is to mount two of those led driving lights inside the lid of the toolbox, the lid has 2 layers, so when i open the lid they will hang down with a switch in the box, they can light up the box, the bed, or be turned to the side and light up the surrounding area
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Palmetto Pride

Received 198 Likes on 152 Posts

If it is a set of recon lights for in the bed DO NOT BUY THEM. I try to install a set and they are too hot and blow the fuse. Instead i just bought 2 cheap led fog lights and they work perfectly. I can post pics if anybody wants.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Bulge
.... I can post pics if anybody wants.
I wouldnt mind seeing a pic of your set up.

Was looking into wiring multiple LED strips (Similar to what I used in my front mirror reflectors) but the LED Fogs sound interesting.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Bye F150, hello F250

Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

If you are concerned with wiring, the easiest work-around are LED battery-operated ones. Wal-Mart has these. Some have timers so that if you forget to turn off, they will and save the battery life.

Installation shuold be fairly easy. At the front of the bed, there are 2 grommets, abuot 3" long. You can punch through that, run a wire along the frame and back into the cab using one of many other grommets that are under the seating area. Run the + wire to the cigaratte lighter wire, or just us a cig. lighter plug and use that to turn on/off. Adding a switch to the tailgate/bed might get a little complicated, and abused depending on what you haul. Branches are a killer, for example.

LED strips would work too. Wallyworld has those.

Quick Reply: Adding lights to the cargo box?