Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to pull the trigger on new F150 or Tacoma??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default About to pull the trigger on new F150 or Tacoma??

I'm new to the board, and see there is a ton of information on here.

I'm currently considering getting a Ford F150 in either the Lariat or FX2, with the luxury package on each. Debating between the 5.0 and the ecoboost.

I am coming from a 2005 Nissan Frontier V6 that I have loved, but I'm starting to have problems with the transmission after 165K miles (first issue I've ever had on it). Would like to stay in something that has about the same gas mileage I was getting. I'm considering the Tacoma, but like the room of the Ford F150, except for the fact that it will take up a lot of room in our garage, and the wife won't like that.

I can currently get a Lariat or FX2 after all the rebates/discounts here in Houston at around 33-34k, generally about 12k off MSRP. That deal is tough to beat.

I don't really need the truck for pulling anything, as of now. I just really like trucks and like the room of the F150. We do have a 7 month old, and two dogs, so I think the extra room would be nice when we go to the lake or out of town.

For those that have them, do you have any regrets, and if you had one in the past would you ever go back to mid size truck?

Thanks for any info.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I would never go with anything smaller then full sized personally. The fuel milage difference isn't enough to give up all that extra space and capabilities
Old 08-21-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts

Tacomas just aren't made like they used to be. I personally think you'd be happier with the ford
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 708 Likes on 486 Posts

i had an 07 Tacoma, way less room than the F150, less comfortable on long hway rides, less power, and exact same mileage as my F150 EB, if not even slightly worse.

the only real upside is that it's much easier to park in town or tight parking spaces. the rearview camera helps a ton on the F150...

get the Ford!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 2008 Tacoma 4x4. It was a pretty tough truck and a lot of fun. I took it 4 wheeling all the time. The issue with the Tacoma is they never updated it (IMHO). Also, the doors and tailgate are pencil thin. Last was the very very famous steering wheel shake. Ford has other shakes, but the steering wheel shake drove me a little crazy. That was the reason for my trade. I really like my Ford. Wish you the best of luck.

There are several pages about the steering wheel shake at the following link:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...eel-shake.html

We just have transmission shakes, oil gusseling (5.0), and intercooler meltdowns :/

Personally, I have not experienced any of those problems.

-Al
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Grandpa's big Blue Truck

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

We are very happy with our 2011 F150 and I think that if you get one will be to .If you think you might someday pull a larger travel trailer or large utility trailer get the max tow with HD ecoboost otherwise many find the 5.0 a good motor
Old 08-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Not gonna lie, I am a bit biased. So, I will say go with the Ford. That's the only brand truck I have ever owned. Each one (5 in all) has been very reliable. Good luck on your choice.

As Russell said, if your not going to tow a lot get the 5.0L. It's a very good engine, and will tow 8000 - 9300 lbs. if needed depending on the configuration. The gas mileage between the ECO, and 5.0L is very little.

Last edited by Wanted33; 08-21-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Default Back seats

If you are looking at crew cab for both the tacoma and the F150, then the answer is simple. FORD. You have a 7 month old which leads me to believe that your wife may still be sitting in the back seat with the child. If you get the Tacoma, that means that your wife is going to end up with a broken back. And in the future your child also. IMHO the Tacoma back seats are about as comfortable as a cinderblock with a little pillow on it. And honestly, the ford looks about a thousand times better. Interior fit and finish is lightyears ahead and I just couldn't justify spending the money on an interior that feels like it was made by Fisher Price.... I almost bought a '12 4Runner, and then I started feeling the plastics on the interior.... Nope.
Now this opinion reflects just me, I'm sure there are others who would disagree. Oh and by the way, if you can spare the extra grand or so, get the EcoBoost. It just drives so amazingly well. Again, IMO. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Default Size

Also on the subject of size, before the truck I had a little Audi A4 that drove like a go-cart. Two months and almost 5,000 miles after I traded to the truck, the truck drives just as well, and feels just as nimble. Parking is almost effortless, so yeah, I say go full size. You'll be much happier if you do.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think there is a real fair comparison between those 2 trucks. Everything favors the ford, especially if you plan on having more children, who may be involved in sports or some other activities that requires the extra room without feeling crunched! You have a large family (pets included) and will need more room in the future I am sure.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on new F150 or Tacoma??