General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 F150 Smoking!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 F150 Smoking!!!

I was driving my f150 two days ago when it suddenly started smoking from under the dash. I stopped immediatley and shut it down. Thankfully it stopped smoking and i was able to figure out later that it was a wire to the running boards that must have shorted. Now i've got a new problem, the running lights will not shut down unless i pull the fuse. A mechanic at the local garage that it may be something called a "Generic Control Module" located just behind the fuse panel in the cab.
Can anyone agree? because this is my first pick-up and i want to keep it in the best shape i can (no shortcuts) so it will last and i figure that this is the right place to get help with it!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM

Is the wire physically broken? try splicing and sodering the connecting, then try to shut down your running lights.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jumbee424
Is the wire physically broken? try splicing and sodering the connecting, then try to shut down your running lights.
No, the wire isn't broken but i unfortunately found out that almost all the wires to the light switch itself were the victims here, almost all of the had the plastic covering burnt right off and they shorted agaainst each other. Now i have to pull the entire dash just so i can replace that part of the wire harness.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 Smoking!!!