Default 87 F150 turn signal issues

87 F150 custom
Regular cab
2wd
4spd
5.0 EFI
131,XXX miles
I'm 3rd owner
This is my first time on any kind of forum, so sorry if I may step out of bounds on anything. Thanks I'm advance for any positive feedback. I'm 36 years old and this is the first truck I've owned. I bought it about a month ago and have had a lot of trouble with it, but have slowly been figuring out the gremlins. Mostly with the fuel system as it has two tanks, but I think I have that all taken care of.
When I first got it, the turn signals worked except for the front passenger. The front passenger parking light and turn signal does not work. Left side is working fine throughout. I replaced the bulb with no effect. It was pretty corroded and i cleaned out the terminal really well, but still nothing. I've been driving it like that a little, but I've only had it for a few weeks and havnt used it much. I tested the terminal with a test light today and there is no power. Also today I had to change the rear passenger bulb. That, too, was rusty, but there was a fair amount of grease inside the terminal and it was in good shape. Tested it with the light and there is power as there should be.
After that I noticed that my turn signal flasher all the sudden isn't working. They dont blink. The indicators on the dash come on and stay on, but no blinking.The hazards work with exception of the front passenger parking light still doesn't come on. Also, now, I noticed that when I turn my signal to the left that the right rear tail light turns off. Turn the signal off and the tail light comes back on as it should be. Turn signal to the right and it doesnt get brighter, just stays at the normal brightness of the tail lights.
I can handle most nut and bolt kind of repairs, but when it comes to electrical I am totally clueless. I don't want to go poking around and accidentally destroy something or pointlessly burn something out. I've been reading a lot of posts on here before I joined tonight but havnt seen this particular problem listed. Sorry if I had missed it if it is posted, again, I'm new at this forum stuff. I've seen turn signal switch, flasher relay, etc. Wiring is definitely a weakness of mine so I'm desperate for some education and answers. Thanks for any positive insight.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:55 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

change the sockets

if the flashing isn't happening or is intermediate you should change the flasher module, can be had for under 20

Last edited by tanked_darren; 09-10-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:01 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

I should add, this would be remedied for about 1 hour work at a shop. If you are unsure this might be your best route.

Last edited by tanked_darren; 09-10-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 AM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I'd replace the relays and check all connections, including grounds. Disconnect the battery and check resistance with a meter.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm going to change the relay first and see what happens.