General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85 F-150 Herculiner DIY Project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Sleeper Agent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 F-150 Herculiner DIY Project.

Well I finally gave in. I am going to be putting a herculiner into my 85 f150 truck bed. I will be updating this thread with photos as the project progress. Should be finished over the course of three days.

I am an amateur and have never done this before. So we shall see how it turns out. I did not want to have this professionally done because I always love doing these type of projects myself or with friends. It's a learning experience!

First let's start with why I am going to be putting in this liner:

Omg your truck bed is a mess dude!

So many colors!

This is getting out of hand!

Dull, shiny, metallic. What have you been doing?

The buck stops here get a bedliner now!

Don't forget to keep posting replies here as I progress through my project. I could use some support since this is my first time ever doing this!

Last edited by Gearsmash; 10-16-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Sleeper Agent

Okay so after three hours of prep work I finally got to start putting the liner on. Took 1 1/2 hours to put this first coast on. There is a few spots I missed which will be touched up once it dries.

Here it was it looks like so far, you can still see a few greys spot. No worries I only used half a galloon of herculiner and have another gallon and a half to go! By the time I am done I will have at least 3 coats done.

My poor poor roller. Wish they had more in the kit.

It is really really shiny still because it is so wet. I will take a few more pics once it starts drying. Tomorrow I will start on touch up and then begin with 2nd coat!

Need immediate help! Some of the bedliner splashed on my arms when rolling it onto the truck bed. I have tried to use gojo with pumice and paint thinner with an abrasive pad to remove it. It will not come off though. Any tips how I can get it off my skin?

Last edited by Gearsmash; 10-16-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Default 85 F-150 Herculiner DIY Project.

I did our '06 F150 two years ago. Still looking good. I love it. I couldn't get good coverage with the roller. I used a brush and dabbed it on. I did it outside in the shade and the vapors were still BAD. Didn't want to do it inside. As for the stuff on your arm.....it will eventually wear off.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Sleeper Agent

I had a moment this morning when I went to go put on the 2nd coat. I opened the container of herculiner again and there was nothing but alot of lumps of the herculiner in the can. I was like omfg what the hell is going on why did it dry out over night?

Turns out the bottom half of can is for 2nd coat and it is what gives that little grit feeling to the liner.

So anyway I just applied the gritty stuff on now and it's currently drying. About to go outside and take some pics while it's drying. Then when it's finished I will get all up in it.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey.. How much did you use to do the bed?? Im thinking about doing my whole truck.. lol... its already spray painted flat black right now but it gets scratched up and i cant really wash it to great.. So i was thinking about puting the bedliner on the whole thing.. lmao..
Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Dude its looking really good so far i might have to due it if I cant afford to get line x or rhino.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Sleeper Agent

Originally Posted by drmcstford
Dude its looking really good so far i might have to due it if I cant afford to get line x or rhino.
Well originally I was looking forward to rhino liner DIY but it's not available in my area. So I have to deal with what I have. Working out well so far though. Sun going down going to head out and take pics soon ^^
Old 10-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Sleeper Agent

Well crap I got outside and it was dark already. Gonna take the pics in the morning instead when everything is dry.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM

I wanna see them Pics already ! :
Old 10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still want to know how much you used to do it lol

Quick Reply: 85 F-150 Herculiner DIY Project.