6 inch lift rollover chance? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 inch lift rollover chance?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:21 AM

Default 6 inch lift rollover chance?

as the title suggests what is the chances of rolling over my truck with a six inch lift? I donít really do any off roading so the lift is mainly for asthetics but would rather not be drivin down the road in the rain only to slip a little and flip the dang thing ruining my truck which then my insurance would be like yeah you lifted it so we ainít covering it. Also has anyone ever had trouble with lifting and insurance wether you were at fault or the other driver was and his insurance said no?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:50 AM
Proud Southerner

Remember it's lifted so slow down in the rain. Never had an insurance issue, but that's not saying others haven't.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Coops064x4 View Post
Remember it's lifted so slow down in the rain. Never had an insurance issue, but that's not saying others haven't.
i mean I donít drive fast in the rain I see your from Georgia as well I just made a trip down to the airport last night and back through all the traffic and everyone was flyin by me so speed isnít the issue but even at slow speeds when I hit the huge puddles in the road I can tell if I was goin faster Iíd slip but I donít want to have to slow down to too slow with a lift making it even more dangerous haha Iím probably just worrying too much about it cause of this crazy storm weíve got comin through which we usually never get! Haha by the way welcome to Georgia Iím in Alpharetta so not really close to forest park but I am in Georgia!
The Following User Says Thank You to Psalmonds For This Useful Post:
Coops064x4 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 AM
Proud Southerner

Thanks for the welcome back. Ha ha. I am originally from the Athens area. Here is what I do in the rain . If I am on a good road 5mph below the posted speed limit. If I am on a curvy road most times 10 below. On dry pavement normally speed limit or so.......

Having totaled 2 lifted vehicles, both have been on wet roads and both were a lot lighter than my F 150. One was a 88 ranger the other was a 84 scrambler. Neither accident was I going over 35-40 MPH and both were within 5 miles of my house, my comfort zone. Don't ever get comfortable with a lifted vehicle!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:46 AM

If you have this much anxiety over it maybe you need to do a 180 and lower your truck. The lower it is the less likely you are to flip.

By "slip" do you men's hydroplaning? Yeah with a lift you most likely have wider tires and that makes hydroplaning much easier. Lift or not wider tires "float" better. If you want to be able to drive thru puddles on the road easier get skinnier tires. If you mean something else by "slip" please explain?
Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Texas A&M Aggie

Honestly you're worrying too much. Just don't go racing around acting a fool and you'll be fine. The lift isn't going to increase your chances of hydroplaning, that's dependent on tires, road conditions, and speed primarily. As far as flipping, just take it easy. Don't go cutting donuts in the sand or something, or turn really hard on dry pavement. Where you'll flip is when you start to slide and then catch dry ground with the front wheels turned while going too fast. That's what will want to tip it because you're going and then there's a sudden stop.

What year do you have? The newer trucks have stability control that make them very difficult to flip. Per federal regulation all vehicles since September 2011 have this, and manufacturers must retain full use of the system with their aftermarket parts.

Really though, if you're that worried about rolling over with it, then I wouldn't advise getting it. You'll be nervous driving it, which is not good.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by tareed94 View Post
Honestly you're worrying too much. Just don't go racing around acting a fool and you'll be fine. The lift isn't going to increase your chances of hydroplaning, that's dependent on tires, road conditions, and speed primarily. As far as flipping, just take it easy. Don't go cutting donuts in the sand or something, or turn really hard on dry pavement. Where you'll flip is when you start to slide and then catch dry ground with the front wheels turned while going too fast. That's what will want to tip it because you're going and then there's a sudden stop.

What year do you have? The newer trucks have stability control that make them very difficult to flip. Per federal regulation all vehicles since September 2011 have this, and manufacturers must retain full use of the system with their aftermarket parts.

Really though, if you're that worried about rolling over with it, then I wouldn't advise getting it. You'll be nervous driving it, which is not good.

https://youtu.be/Q6f8Z68zbr0

i have a 2016 I didnít realize they made them so much more stable now a days. Honestly growing up my father always told me how dangerous those lifted trucks and jeeps were for flipping over probably just some paranoia from then haha I figured if six inch lifts were makin people flip left and right they wouldnít be so common down here in the south.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by fordguy2100 View Post
If you have this much anxiety over it maybe you need to do a 180 and lower your truck. The lower it is the less likely you are to flip.

By "slip" do you men's hydroplaning? Yeah with a lift you most likely have wider tires and that makes hydroplaning much easier. Lift or not wider tires "float" better. If you want to be able to drive thru puddles on the road easier get skinnier tires. If you mean something else by "slip" please explain?
I donít have a lot of anxiety over it I was just drivin all night last night on the edges of the hurricane that has come through the south and having trash weather and big tires with a 2.5 inch level and 3 inch rear blocks did make me wonder how the handling is different with a six inch lift.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Originally Posted by Psalmonds View Post

i have a 2016 I didnít realize they made them so much more stable now a days. Honestly growing up my father always told me how dangerous those lifted trucks and jeeps were for flipping over probably just some paranoia from then haha I figured if six inch lifts were makin people flip left and right they wouldnít be so common down here in the south.
Yessir. They're pretty stable. Now, you do have a higher chance of rollover if you hit a car. There's a chance for the tire to go over their hood and flip you, but that's not really common. I'd lift it and never look back. Lol. I intend to do mine at some point. They're everywhere down here in Texas by Houston, I've got several friends with them and only one has been flipped (old chevy with a straight axle swap, did exactly the scenario I just mentioned of hitting a car).
Old 10-12-2018, 03:50 PM
SoCal 4x4

I think other variables such as tire size and track width would play a big part in your chance of rolling over. If you are on tall, narrow, lightweight tires with a factory offset I see you rolling over a lot easier than someone on wide, heavy tires with wide negative offset wheels. Also makes a difference on how top heavy something is too. Its all about center of gravity and how much weight you have above and below it.

Such as:

vs.

Last edited by SD_F1504x4; 10-12-2018 at 03:53 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 inch lift rollover chance?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: