General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.2 v6 to v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4.2 v6 to v8 swap

OK guys, I've been doing some searching because I have a 06 f150 4.2 v6 and I'm possibly looking to swap in an 01 E250 v8. Its my old work van that runs great but the body is very rusted out and I've decided to get a new sprinter this year. So instead of just junking it or selling it for like dirt cheap I thought maybe I could swap it into my pickup to get some extra get up and go. I've done engine swaps before in cars, so I know its some work but my questions are, does the engine harness plug into the cab harness? Do the engine and trans mounts line up? Is there anything else I should consider?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

4.2 is a completely different design as far as transmission bell housing goes. IIRC it's a Windsor pattern where the 5.4/4.6 are modular motors. You'll need the complete donor for all the electrical and the powertrain. You'll also have to change your driveshaft, motor mounts, and several other small things. It's not like the old days when you could swap all this stuff in a day. After you get done swapping, you'll have to work out any bugs in the system. It's more of a pain in the neck than anything, but it can be done. There's a couple threads on this with some good information.

Quick Reply: 4.2 v6 to v8 swap