General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3rd brake light water leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3rd brake light water leak fix

Hi there! I'm a brand new member and this is my first post. I've been creeping around these forums for a long time and have appreciated all the help that the community has put out there for f150 owners like me!

I have a 2011 f150 crew cab 4x4 and live in the pacific northwest. As you can probably imagine, we get our fair share of rain and the last couple of weeks we have had some terrible down pours! I had noticed a musty smell in my truck as I had been leaving for work and finally found some evidence of a water leak on the headliner at the back of the truck. I had been trying to decide what was the best way to fix this, and didn't want a "mickey mouse" fix by applying clear silicone around the light, although that would have definitely been the cheapest way to go.

After much research, I decided to go with an aftermarket solution and got the Putco LED 3rd brake light from American Muscle. This is the only aftermarket 3rd brake light that I could find that was actually a plug and play solution and didn't involve any cutting or splicing. The installation took about 3 minutes.

I've had it installed for about a week and we've continued to have hard rain and haven't had anymore water leaks. It's currently $125.99 so it's a little more expensive than other LED options or a factory replacement. However the light is nice and bright and the seal on this product is much thicker and substantial than the factory seal.

Overall I've been very satisfied with it. I hope it holds up better than the stock light. I guess time will tell!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light fix

howdy,

i have a 2009 Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab and I've been dealing with the same issue..however took it to ford and they "replaced" my third brake light and diagnosed it as such. However the problem has continued to persist and not exactly sure now what the issue might be. I'm just getting more hands on with my truck and last thing I want to do is test something and screw another thing up! I've read around the forums and they've said it could be a number of things, but since I had The dealer take care of it and it has happened numerous time since should I just go back and raise hell?

And im not under warrently I paid $400 something odd dollars for nothing.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mickelsona
Hi there! I'm a brand new member and this is my first post. I've been creeping around these forums for a long time and have appreciated all the help that the community has put out there for f150 owners like me!

I have a 2011 f150 crew cab 4x4 and live in the pacific northwest. As you can probably imagine, we get our fair share of rain and the last couple of weeks we have had some terrible down pours! I had noticed a musty smell in my truck as I had been leaving for work and finally found some evidence of a water leak on the headliner at the back of the truck. I had been trying to decide what was the best way to fix this, and didn't want a "mickey mouse" fix by applying clear silicone around the light, although that would have definitely been the cheapest way to go.

After much research, I decided to go with an aftermarket solution and got the Putco LED 3rd brake light from American Muscle. This is the only aftermarket 3rd brake light that I could find that was actually a plug and play solution and didn't involve any cutting or splicing. The installation took about 3 minutes.

I've had it installed for about a week and we've continued to have hard rain and haven't had anymore water leaks. It's currently $125.99 so it's a little more expensive than other LED options or a factory replacement. However the light is nice and bright and the seal on this product is much thicker and substantial than the factory seal.

Overall I've been very satisfied with it. I hope it holds up better than the stock light. I guess time will tell!
Nice, thats good to hear. Im planning on upgrading my lights down the line . The factory seal that comes with the third breaklight ends up becoming brittle and ends up cracking until water comes seeping in. I fixed mine the broke mans way and used RTV silicone to seal it up. Did a terrific job and wasn't over $10. So if that seal ever becomes faulty again, just grab some silicone!
Old 04-08-2017, 03:18 PM

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Got any pics?
Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fx4_5.0Man
Got any pics?
hope these help, I just took them and it's late afternoon Putco smoked light. Not as dark as you might expect. But I like the look of it.
Cargo light. Nice and bright at night but doesn't illuminate the bed directly.
Connectors. No splicing needed!
Led Brake light. Very bright at night!
The following 2 users liked this post by mickelsona:
Fx4_5.0Man (04-08-2017), HerbyJr (05-03-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 06:43 PM

Wow, great! Thank you!

Last question, how beefy is the gasket? Leakage is my biggest fear with these stock units even the "improved" ones.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fx4_5.0Man
Wow, great! Thank you!

Last question, how beefy is the gasket? Leakage is my biggest fear with these stock units even the "improved" ones.
I wish I would have taken pics when I first installed it! But it's substantially thicker than the stock gasket. We have had a miserable winter in the Northwest with non stop rain basically since February and I haven't had any leakage. I'm hopeful it continues to hold out for a long time to come!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Good to know. Thanks again buddy!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mickelsona
I wish I would have taken pics when I first installed it! But it's substantially thicker than the stock gasket. We have had a miserable winter in the Northwest with non stop rain basically since February and I haven't had any leakage. I'm hopeful it continues to hold out for a long time to come!
Mickelsona, do you happen to know the Putco part number of the light you bought?