General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2wd rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2wd rear wheels

just wondering when guys are you using 2wd rear lock differential on your f150 ecoboost ? Also I had heard that when you are the AUTO mode 4wd when you dont really need ,thay's not good for the clutch because she always working , your thoughts ?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Electronic or mechanical?
Brad
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

I never have needed my rear locker, granted I don't go off road much. When I do 4x4 gets me out. A locker would be helpful if say one of your rear tires is in mud and the other is on solid ground. The one in the mud is going to keep spinning, but with a locker both of them will spin so you'll get traction from the wheel on the hard ground.

Generally it performs better than open diff in any situation off-road and on soft ground (so you can turn without tires chirping) but I still prefer to only use it if I absolutely need it. I can also see it being useful in situations when putting a boat in the water and the ramps aren't in the best condition. But then if you have 4x4 just use that
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

It's more useful with a RWD, and when there is half ice on the roads, like curb side, that is where it comes in most handy, flip it on, get going, flip it off. Had to do just that a few times yesterday, some roads aren't totally cleared yet since the temps dropped to negative shortly after the snow quit and before they had a chance to dry.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I haven't done much off-roading with this truck, at least not to the point I've needed the locker. I have used it on the pavement several times, and no I don't need to hear from everyone about why that's a bad idea. But I sometimes lock the rear end when it's raining and I'm at a stoplight and want to get ahead of slower traffic before a 4 lane highway cuts down to 2 lanes. If I'm in a hurry on wet pavement this truck just does the one-wheel-peel.

I'm secretly hoping I'll grenade my diff so I'll have an excuse to install a Truetrac.
The following users liked this post:
Old Grey Mule (01-25-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by bassJAM
I haven't done much off-roading with this truck, at least not to the point I've needed the locker. I have used it on the pavement several times, and no I don't need to hear from everyone about why that's a bad idea. But I sometimes lock the rear end when it's raining and I'm at a stoplight and want to get ahead of slower traffic before a 4 lane highway cuts down to 2 lanes. If I'm in a hurry on wet pavement this truck just does the one-wheel-peel.

I'm secretly hoping I'll grenade my diff so I'll have an excuse to install a Truetrac.

Just wait till it shakes, then replace it as a diagnostic step. Thats what I may do.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:05 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,599 Likes on 6,204 Posts

I use mine in a straight line only, when starting from a stop in snow/ice. I am RWD and love having the e-locker.

Also, it's intended use is in the manual, I suggest giving that section a few minutes of your time. Helps to understand what conditions it is optimal for.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,220 Likes on 855 Posts

I have used mine a couple times last winter getting up my road if it is icy or snow on it since it is a 8%+ grade. The other couple of times were pulling my friends 4x4 Ram out of some good old Tennessee clay so he didn't slide into his fence and backing my trailer in up a muddy slope.
I will say this it does work good but I really can't complain about how it does in the snow and ice in just regular driving.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:54 PM

Had some snow overnight and into this morning, roughly 6-8 inches. I found the Elock is only active at speeds of 20 and under. I turned it on when I left the house, and haven't touched it in 60 miles. Works great. no slippage and the roads were all snow covered with at least 2 inches on the surface since it was still snowing. I found the BFG Advantage TA Sport LT tires which are rated as severe snow are OK in some snow, but not others. Next year I plan on a new set of dedicated snow tires to replace these.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 539 Likes on 449 Posts

mildewed boat ramps, loose gravel inclines, excessively saturated grass. Any time i am in less than ideal situations i'll flip the switch, convenient and keeps the clutch packs used routinely.

Quick Reply: 2wd rear wheels