General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 3.5 ecoboost with a ghost in the machine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2017 3.5 ecoboost with a ghost in the machine

I have a new 3.5 ecoboost sport with the centre console productivity screen. Ive had several issues in the last 24 hours. Yesterday while driving the auto start stop would not work. The message on the dash said it was unavailable. Thus far when its not available there is a reason i.e. engine not warmed up, defrost on, and so on. There is usually a message to coincide with the reason. Not this time. On the next start up it worked fine. I then parked the truck for a while and then washed it before taking it out again. This time the time on the screen was over 5 hours off. Also the airbag light for the passenger was lit up and saying on. That was the first time we ever noticed it on. To be fair I had the dog in the truck before and had clipped the seat belt in to eliminate the dash going off. The truck seemed fine upon our trip home 6 or so hours later. Then today I drove it this morning. The airbag light is still on and the navigation screen became frozen and unresponsive. After the next start of the vehicle it seemed to be fine again. Has anyone had any similar experiences like this? The only concern I have is I installed the lumens LED headlights. I installed the proper resistors with them but was unable to put the dust caps back on the rear of the headlight housing due to the heat sinks. Is there any chance this could play any part of the problem? I really don't want to put the OEM bulbs back in especially given the time it takes to do so. I also don't want the dealership to blame the electrical demons on them. I'm inclined to believe its unrelated however.......Thanks for reading.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

Mbb, try a reboot before you take her in to the dealer. Just unhook your positive battery cable for approx. 10 mins., then hook it back up. Sometimes that chases the gremlins out of the system. Hopefully it's that easy. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
mbb41 (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did call today and was advised by service that they would be starting by checking the battery voltage. Honestly I feel it should be ok as the truck was born March 3rd and sold to me a month later so even with some cold while it sat the battery would not have enough of a chance to go bad. It did however require a fair bit of running time the day I got it to work the auto start and stop as the battery was low. I attributed that to whomever at the dealership that left the parking lights on.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

It's not unusual that a battery can be bad. I've had one go dead in a month old car. If it's bad the dealer will replace it under warranty. Hope that fixes your problems.