General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 2.7 Oil Level...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 2.7 Oil Level...

I bought a truck from a reputable used car dealer. According to them, and the sticker they put on the truck, they changed the oil before selling it. After owning it a couple days I checked the oil level on it and it seemed high, but it was also hard to get a clear read on the dipstick. Not sure why but maybe it has something to do with the location of the dipstick and that it is very flimsy and hard to work with (at least compared to other vehicles I have owned).

Instead of worrying about whether they overfilled it I figured I would just change the oil. I like knowing it was done correctly and what kind of oil and filter are in it anyways. However, after I did the change it is still reading high. It appears that it is above the max hole but there is no clear line to read it. Is this a common problem with these trucks? I know I didn't overfill it.

Here was my process for changing the oil.
  1. Pull front of truck up on ramps
  2. Open hood and remove the oil fill cap
  3. Remove protective shield under the oil pan and start draining the oil
  4. As the oil drained I replaced the oil filter (used Motorcraft filter). This is the first time I have done this type of oil filter so it took me a bit longer. Probably 20 minutes. During this time the oil was draining.
  5. Oil was done draining (maybe a few drops still coming out). I replaced the drain plug and put back on the protective shield. Also, the amount of oil I drained was close to 6 quarts, which makes me think the dealer I bought it from did not over fill it.
  6. Filled oil with 6 quarts Mobil 1 5w-30

After following the manuals instructions to run the engine to normal operating temp, and then let it set for 15 minutes, it still looked like it was reading over the max. I then let it sit overnight and checked again when it was cold and it still looked high. This was several days ago and I have continued to check it and it continues to read high.

Does anyone else have issues getting an accurate oil read on the 2.7? Am I missing something here? I am worried that I am hurting the engine by driving it now if it is overfilled. But I know for certain that there were only 6 quarts added so how could it be overfilled? Super confusing.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

i think it has a lot to do with the dipstick and the tube location. It seems to drag the tube coming out. I wouldn't sweat it too much
Old 02-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
i think it has a lot to do with the dipstick and the tube location. It seems to drag the tube coming out. I wouldn't sweat it too much
That is basically the only thing I can think of. It just doesn't seem like it goes in or comes out easily and it is long and flimsy. Like you said, it seems to drag a lot. I was just wondering (or hoping) other people had the same issue. Also, I am new to the ecoboost world so I wasn't sure if there was a step or something that I was missing. But from everything I have read and the Youtube videos I watched there is nothing different than a normal oil change.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:11 AM

Received 563 Likes on 402 Posts

My oil level is always at the very top hole above the hash marks. I consider it normal.

And I let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes before removing the drain plug during the oil changes.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbabiker
My oil level is always at the very top hole above the hash marks. I consider it normal.

And I let the truck sit for at least 30 minutes before removing the drain plug during the oil changes.
Good to know. You would think that if you filled it properly it would be somewhere in the middle...not pushing past the max fill spot. As long as it is normal I really don't care. Just wanted to make sure other people experienced the same thing.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

When I check to oil I always have the Hash Marks UP towards the top of the Engine you get a truer reading doing this
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM

so I experienced the same on my 2016 2.7 and was equally concerned. However, you did the right thing by measuring the amount you drained out...6 quarts is what she holds.....u then refilled with the correct amount as well.....u can't go wrong......I had the same issue....just a dipstick design I believe.... I would use Synthetic oil
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't been under my F yet, but with all the vehicles I've owned I always made sure that it was level before draining the oil. Those who know more about this vehicle may know how much oil would be left in the crankcase if the nose is elevated.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

In theory 6 quarts comes out when you drain it. In reality, some oil can remain. When I change oil, I check the level with 1/2 quart remaining and slowly add oil until it is topped off.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Just did the oil on my 2017 2.7. Was curious about the reading after several shop changes. Let drain about an hour, measured 6 quarts drained. Added 6 quarts fresh and checked the level an hour later. Level for my particular truck when filled is above the hash and top hole midway to the first twist in the dipstick. Now I have a good reference for later checks. KM

Quick Reply: 2017 2.7 Oil Level...