Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F-150 Paint Peeling

Old 01-01-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 F-150 Paint Peeling

As a brand-new member, this is my first post. I own a 2016 F-150 that I purchased new in December 2016. It has less than 18,000 miles. I was washing it yesterday and noticed a small area of peeling paint on the top of the hood just below the windshield (see photo). I know darned well that the dealership will try to blame it on a rock or some other road damage. But I'm not buying. There is absolutely ZERO indentation or sign of abrasion.

I did a forum search for "peeling paint" and I see that this has been a sporadic issue with Ford trucks over the years, especially after the switch to aluminum bodies (I guess).

I'd appreciate any advice on tactics to use (aside from raising he**) before I stomp into the dealership.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2019, 12:24 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpestJim

As a brand-new member, this is my first post. I own a 2016 F-150 that I purchased new in December 2016. It has less than 18,000 miles. I was washing it yesterday and noticed a small area of peeling paint on the top of the hood just below the windshield (see photo). I know darned well that the dealership will try to blame it on a rock or some other road damage. But I'm not buying. There is absolutely ZERO indentation or sign of abrasion.

I did a forum search for "peeling paint" and I see that this has been a sporadic issue with Ford trucks over the years, especially after the switch to aluminum bodies (I guess).

I'd appreciate any advice on tactics to use (aside from raising he**) before I stomp into the dealership.

Thanks in advance!
So you know without a shadow of a doubt that is not a rock chip or chemical damage? Rock chips don't always leave an indent or abrasion. If it's peeling, it will show in the tape test.

In my opinion. Not warrantable. Looks exactly like chemical damage. Because it went to the e coat(greenish brown coating) and stopped
Attached Thumbnails 2016 F-150 Paint Peeling-screenshot_2017-08-11-08-29-15-1.png  

Last edited by 21RRF150; 01-02-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly why I registered on this forum: To get the opinions of others. Had the damage occurred on the front of the hood, I would have been PO'd but would not have questioned it. I find it hard to believe that rocks or other road debris could have caused this without my knowing how/when it occurred, especially given its close proximity to the windshield. I would think that it would have been a, "Holy sh**. What the heck was that?" moment.

I also considered chemical damage (i.e., brake fluid) from vandalism of some sort. But the location and lack of any splatter/run leads me to doubt that, also.

Again, I wanted to ask others if they had experienced anything like this with their 2016 Fords. Remember Dodge Neons from the 1990's? So, thanks again. This saves me an unnecessary trip to the dealership. In fifteen years, I've never filed an insurance claim (homeowner's & auto with same company). Perhaps I'll look into that.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Bird****? Is it possible you had bird crap on the hood and didnt see it or catch it and just wash it?
Usually it wouldn't cause this much damage but on a newly painted vehicle it could have weakened the paint enuf to cause it to flake off.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dannofx4
Bird****? Is it possible you had bird crap on the hood and didnt see it or catch it and just wash it?
Usually it wouldn't cause this much damage but on a newly painted vehicle it could have weakened the paint enuf to cause it to flake off.
Thanks. I guess anything is possible. I'd consider this before I would some other type of chemical damage. However - and I posted only the one photo - this is just below my wipers. I can't imagine my not noticing a large blob of birds***. If I had, I definitely would have cleaned it off pronto.

Since it does not look like Ford has any systemic paint issues, I'll probably get a repair estimate and, possibly (as I mentioned), file a claim with my insurance company.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get some touchup paint and call it a day. Can't see an insurance claim being worth it when $25 will solve your problem.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:06 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by SharpestJim
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly why I registered on this forum: To get the opinions of others.
Just be careful. I spend less and less time here. Many on here just want others to agree with them, and don't want their questions or concerns to be met with facts or educated opinions.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello SharpestJim,
This is not just you. I see very similar issues with my 2017. In my case, I get these locations on my hood, roof and all body panels. I have raised with the dealer. In my case, I know it is not chemical damage and my truck gets them just sitting in the driveway. My 2016 explorer sits right next to the F150 and its paint is spotless. I am concerned this may be an issue with the aluminum prep process. I have raised with my local dealer and after a week am still waiting for a response. I suggest you raise it with the dealer. If the paint flakes to primer, that is easily a rock chip or some sort of damage. If it flakes to the bare metal like yours is showing, I think it is worth raising with the dealer. Just my opinion.
Many Thanks
Old 01-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Originally Posted by okillen
Hello SharpestJim,
This is not just you. I see very similar issues with my 2017. In my case, I get these locations on my hood, roof and all body panels. I have raised with the dealer. In my case, I know it is not chemical damage and my truck gets them just sitting in the driveway. My 2016 explorer sits right next to the F150 and its paint is spotless. I am concerned this may be an issue with the aluminum prep process. I have raised with my local dealer and after a week am still waiting for a response. I suggest you raise it with the dealer. If the paint flakes to primer, that is easily a rock chip or some sort of damage. If it flakes to the bare metal like yours is showing, I think it is worth raising with the dealer. Just my opinion.
Many Thanks
So why can't a rock chip all the way down to bare metal? It does it with steel.

Also his is not to the bare aluminum. That's e coat.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 01-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mbullock
So you know without a shadow of a doubt that is not a rock chip or chemical damage? Rock chips don't always leave an indent or abrasion. If it's peeling, it will show in the tape test.

In my opinion. Not warrantable. Looks exactly like chemical damage. Because it went to the e coat(greenish brown coating) and stopped
so this ecoat is impervious to chemical damage? and its not possible to have an adhesion issue with the top coat?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 F-150 Paint Peeling