Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 2.7 Ecoboost Cold Start Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2016 2.7 Ecoboost Cold Start Rattle

Hello All,

Let me preface, I have had nothing but mechanical problems in my previous Ford vehicles, but went on a leap of faith with them again.....

So, I have just purchased a 2016 F150 with 2.7 Ecoboost engine. Everything was going great until recently. The vehicle is only about a week old and has less than 500 miles on the vehicle.

When I do a cold start on the truck, I get a rattle for the first 3-5 seconds. The rattle goes away and once the vehicle is warmed up, it does not make any more rattles until the engine is cooled off again.

There are a lot of threads regarding similar situations, but I have not yet found a definitive answer to this. Some suggest that it's a timing chain issue, but again, the vehicle has less than 500 miles on it. Really not enough time for any timing issues? Some suggest it's lack of oil pressure because of bad oil/oil filter, etc. Same thing applies, would that already be an issue seeing as how the engine isn't even fully broken in yet?

I will try and get video/audio of it the next time I start the vehicle.

Any input would be helpful, unfortunately, the dealership is about 40 miles away and closed on weekends! Don't have any time to get it there at the moment!
Old 06-08-2016, 06:24 PM

is it coming from the engine compartment or from underneath the vehicle?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bimmer335
is it coming from the engine compartment or from underneath the vehicle?
Sounds like it's on the driver's side engine compartment.

I attempted to make a video of the dash shortly after posting. The sound is more faint as it wasn't fully cooled off when I did the video. What I noticed was as soon as the oil pressure gauge hits it's normal range the sound immediately goes away. In another hour or so I'm going to attempt to get a better video for posting.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM

Here's the video link of my problem.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Maybe a bad oil filter?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
Maybe a bad oil filter?
Bad oil filter after a few hundred miles? What would cause it to go bad all of the sudden?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Trade it! Fast!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The oil pump is variable and my first thought is how many miles was on the truck when you bought it? Sounds like the oil pump is working overtime to get the oil moving.

I would look at changing the oil plus filter and make sure its 5w-30 either synthetic blend or preferred full synthetic. Just wondering if an oil change was done before you bought it and not having the recommended oil.

Ps. I changed my oil and filter at 800 miles and switched to full synthetic but never heard that knocking before then on my '16 2.7.

Last edited by 7thSeal; 06-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by 7thSeal
The oil pump is variable and my first thought is how many miles was on the truck when you bought it? Sounds like the oil pump is working overtime to get the oil moving.

I would look at changing the oil plus filter and make sure its 5w-30 either synthetic blend or preferred full synthetic. Just wondering if an oil change was done before you bought it and not having the recommended oil.

Ps. I changed my oil and filter at 800 miles and switched to full synthetic but never heard that knocking before then on my '16 2.7.

Vehicle had 24 miles on it when I bought it from a reputable dealership.

Out of curiosity, the oil pressure gauge never moves. It's always about half way. In other vehicles I've driven oil pressure would have a normal idle setting and when under load they would at least raise a little bit.

I'll have to check the oil level tomorrow when it's cold and warm and see if there is a difference.

This sound is the same sound I hear in videos for older models with timing chain stretch. Ugh
Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

From what i have read it is an exhaust leak, also it appears to whole line up of motors suffers fro this issue. 5.0 2.7 3.5

Quick Reply: 2016 2.7 Ecoboost Cold Start Rattle