Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Door won't latch when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2015 Door won't latch when cold

Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 F-150 supercab, 2 months old with about 1600 miles that has a finicky driver's side door. Whenever it's cold out, we're talking 20 F and below, the door will not latch when closed. I took it back to the dealership who said the door was not properly aligned - they sent it to the body shop who re-aligned the door. They said that should fix it.

Well, it didn't. When it gets cold (NE Ohio) the door still won't latch. I did learn that by locking the door, it would latch, but as soon as I unlocked the door it would unlatch.

I figured as long as locking the door works, I'll let the dealership mess with it the next time I bring it in for an oil change. Well, yesterday morning it wouldn't even lock, so I had to drive to work while holding my door closed, LOL. I mean, I couldn't even push the lock down, it was stuck solid. So I contacted my dealer, they said to bring it in Saturday. So, driving home from work, again I had to hold the door closed; I said, "screw this," I called the dealer and said, I'm bringing this in so you can see it - as soon as I pulled in the dealership and got out of the truck, of course, it latched.

It's obviously temperature related and with all the electronics, it's likely a servo motor or some type of electrical contact that's preventing the door from latching. The sales writer explained that he didn't have any mechanics there but he would have one of their lube guys spray the latch with some lubricant and I could keep my Saturday appointment if the problem persists...Well, this morning it was right around 20 F so it worked...

Ironically, the service writer says, "well, it's cold out, it's probably frozen." I said, "I spent 8 years in Northern Maine while in the military and I grew up in NE Ohio, I never had a door freeze." This is a truck, marketed as a working truck, I suspect lots of them will spend a considerable amount of time sitting outside in very cold weather - at nearly $50k I expect the doors to latch when it get's cold. Ironically we are having a mild winter, I hate to see what happens when it gets really cold.

Anyway, enough venting, LOL; has anyone else heard of any similar issues? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by I'd Rather Vent than Search
Anyway, enough venting, LOL; has anyone else heard of any similar issues? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Yer kidding, right?

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/bad-b...highlight=door

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/door-...highlight=door

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2015-...highlight=door

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/rear-...highlight=door

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/doors...highlight=door

Cheers!
MGD
The following users liked this post:
130428 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:28 AM

OMG!! Sorry about the wasted bandwidth..I'm glad I'm not the only one - the dealer made it sound like nobody else was having this problem. Thanks again for the links.

Steve
Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good luck sorting this out. my 2015 lariat has 2000 miles has the same issue. I took it into the dealer twice and got the "cold weather" line of BS. I had to get pretty nasty with the service department and now they are aware this a common issue. Currently they are waiting for parts, but they are back ordered with expected delivery date of 2/19. I am considering arbitration for a manufacturer buyback. This has happened to me over 10 times in the same week. What is absolutely annoying is Ford seems to think I should be happy driving a focus while the truck sits for almost a month waiting for parts. They seem to have no concern about people getting into a situation far from home where door does not latch or suggesting we keep driving these trucks. Even worse - driving a pop can for 30 days due to $30 per day allowance is something they see no need to make an expectation for. Time for Ford to wake up and realize a door latch issue is very serious and people can be put in a very dangerous situation if they attempt driving with a door that will not latch. All the focus on manufacture deceptions for other brands, but still they seem willing to roll the dice that this issue will be contained. Matter of time before something happens to somebody that might be preventable with proper recall.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

^^^ your issue sucks but it sounds like the dealer is taking care of you, although it sounds like they gave you the rundown first. Their hands are tied if parts are back ordered. Give them time and if it's not fixed with new parts then look into a buyback, although from what I read its not an easy or fast process.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM

I bet this is the same part, latches, that they ordered for my truck as they said they were back ordered and they didn't expect them in till Feb. I sure hope this fixes it as I really like the truck but am starting to dread cold mornings - fortunately we're having a mild winter here in NE Ohio.

Did you send a message to the Ford Rep that monitors these forums? They were pretty responsive so I'd give that a shot. I'm cautiously optimistic that they will get this all straightened out as it appears they have the best intentions.

Steve

Originally Posted by Paul Wiseman
Currently they are waiting for parts, but they are back ordered with expected delivery date of 2/19.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 AM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Desmoface
Ironically, the service writer says, "well, it's cold out, it's probably frozen." I said, "I spent 8 years in Northern Maine while in the military and I grew up in NE Ohio, I never had a door freeze." This is a truck, marketed as a working truck, I suspect lots of them will spend a considerable amount of time sitting outside in very cold weather - at nearly $50k I expect the doors to latch when it get's cold. Ironically we are having a mild winter, I hate to see what happens when it gets really cold.
Of course he said that... what a joke.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Reading about how Ford treats the truck owner makes me wonder if I'd buy a new F150...ever.
My son bought a used 2004 Chevy 2500SD diesel; took it to a Chevy dealer to have the injectors replaced (big ouch to the wallet if you don't do this one yourself). He has them do it, and explains to them that he needs a truck as a loaner, as he tows his dirt bike to an area on the weekend to "play". No problem; they hand him the keys to a 2015 1500 to use. And this is not a warrantee or safety issue. Amazing!

That's the way it should be done; we own trucks for a reason; if there's a manufacturer defect that keeps it from being safe to drive, then they should be giving us a truck to drive as a loaner.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Reading about how Ford treats the truck owner makes me wonder if I'd buy a new F150...ever.
My son bought a used 2004 Chevy 2500SD diesel; took it to a Chevy dealer to have the injectors replaced (big ouch to the wallet if you don't do this one yourself). He has them do it, and explains to them that he needs a truck as a loaner, as he tows his dirt bike to an area on the weekend to "play". No problem; they hand him the keys to a 2015 1500 to use. And this is not a warrantee or safety issue. Amazing!

That's the way it should be done; we own trucks for a reason; if there's a manufacturer defect that keeps it from being safe to drive, then they should be giving us a truck to drive as a loaner.

The issue is this is a dealer loaner not a Chevrolet loaner. Loaners have been and probably always be up to each individual dealer.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:18 PM

When I first inquired about a loaner, a young lady at the dealer told me that they could arrange a rental car for me for about $30 per day, LOL. Then I spoke to the service writer that said he would get me a loaner if they had to keep my truck overnight. When I had my Subaru, I would bring it in for an oil change and they would offer me a loaner to go get breakfast, LOL. My Wife still has a Subaru and they treat her pretty good.

My Father In Law said the same thing; he brought his Chevy Silverado in for an oil change, the dealer used to have shuttle vehicle - my Father In Law made a comment about the Shuttle being gone, he was going to have them take him to a local restaurant for breakfast. The salesman said, " I'll be right back; he came back with the keys to the owners loaded silverado and said, he just got here and it's still warm."

Bottom line, I think it's all up to the dealer how forthcoming they want to be with loaners...My dealer is huge and they have a very sizable used car lot..It would be nothing for them to throw me the keys to a used car as a loaner. Sometimes I think a dealer gets so big that they don't care if they lose a customer - thinking that they will easily replace them...Sometimes the smaller dealer will work a bit harder to keep their client base (happy)...Just a though, I could be wrong. In their defense, my dealer did give me a ride home while they worked on my truck this weekend.

Steve

Originally Posted by BCMIF150
The issue is this is a dealer loaner not a Chevrolet loaner. Loaners have been and probably always be up to each individual dealer.

Last edited by Desmoface; 01-26-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Door won't latch when cold