Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 3.5 Ecoboost Need help, how to remove tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 3.5 Ecoboost Need help, how to remove tuner?

Hi, I just purchased a 2014 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost engine. I got it from a new car dealer with only 8000 miles on it. I think it has a tune on it because it has an AFE intake, exhaust, and throttle body spacer and the truck is really quick, where it breaks loose the tires with neck snapping ferocity! I like the power of course, but two problems: One, the gas mileage is horrendous! I'm getting 12mpg with straight highway driving, checked it 2 tankfuls with calculator. It does have 33inch tires on it, but that seems pretty far off from the rated gas mileage. Also, I'm worried about the factory warranty being voided by the tuner. It has a powertrain warranty to 60k miles, and I don't want to lose that. I don't have any idea how to tell if a tuner was used on the truck. I don't want to ask Ford for fear they will void my warranty once they see it does indeed have a tune on it. Is there a way to "download" a factory tune for the truck and use an SCT type tuner to "flash" the stock tune back to the truck? I already replaced the aftermarket parts and purchased the stock intake and cat back. From what I understand if I purchase an SCT or similar tuner, it will simply copy the existing tune from the truck as "backup" and then flash its own performance tunes. I'm hoping to get my hands on the factory tune. Any ideas?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a guess but a dealer won't see a "tune" when obd plugged in. They just see not up to date flash. They just ref lash you w most recent update. It's just my guess because I've had dealers flash my out of warranty ecu back to OEM from tuned ecu inadvertently until I started telling them to not Reflash. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
thejet95 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

I would immediately go back to the dealer and share you concerns, because Ford WILL void your warranty if they see the tune in the ECU, and the IDS software can detect the tune even if the truck is returned to stock programming.

I wish I could find that letter Ford has been sending to dealers. It was on one of these forums and now I can't find it. Ford is getting tired of warranty claims on EcoBoost engines due to tuners.
thejet95 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealerships
Subject: Aftermarket Modifications – Warranty Cancellation

BACKGROUND
Aftermarket companies (referred to as "tuners") attempt to increase an engine's torque and power output beyond the design limits which may cause powertrain failures. This is often accomplished by modifying the engine calibration (referred to as "chipping") but may also include modifications or adjustments to other components. Per the Warranty Guide that is provided to the customer and the Warranty & Policy Manual, failures resulting from modifications are not warranted by Ford Motor Company.

All powertrains are subject to warranty cancellation if a modification causes a failure. For the 3.5L EcoBoost technical service bulletin TSB 10-2-6 was published to enable your technicians to determine:

If a powertrain failure resulted from an unauthorized modification
If the engine, transmission, or entire powertrain warranty should be cancelled
Per the inspection process included in this TSB a Ford Motor Company inspector may assist with this analysis. When the inspection process clearly indicates that a failure was caused by an unauthorized modification/alteration the repair should not be completed under Warranty and, using the following process, the vehicle's remaining Engine, Transmission, or Powertrain warranty should be cancelled.

WARRANTY CANCELLATION PROCESS
To initiate a warranty cancellation on an affected vehicle, submit a warranty cancellation request form through FMCDealer.com. This on-line form can be accessed as follows:

FMCDealer.com
Select Parts & Service tab
Select Warranty Administration & Parts Return
Select Warranty Cancellation / Reinstatement Request Form
Complete and submit this form on-line.

Once the warranty is cancelled an OASIS message will advise all dealerships that the vehicle is no longer eligible for warranty coverage.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 3.5 Ecoboost Need help, how to remove tuner?-ecoboostwarrantydenial.gif  
thejet95 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 PM

Yikes thats scary! Thanks for your responses so far! Exactly why I'm trying to figure out how to handle this. I suppose its possible the truck does not have a tune on it? I never drove another one, so maybe they are normally this quick? My other back burner plan was to buy a stage iii motorsports custom tune. They offer a powertrain warranty for their tuners for an extra $500. Supposedly if the dealer won't honor the warranty repair and can prove it's the tuner that caused it, Stage iii warranty will cover it. Anybody heard of this company? In the meantime I can flash it with an economy tune, and hope for no issues! My main reason for suspecting there is one is because of the catback exhaust in intake. But I would hate to install this tuner, not knowing if the truck even had one on it already, and screw myself over for no reason? That's why I am still wondering if there is some to find out if theres a tune on it without asking for the dealer to be involved. I used to own a subaru WRX, and could use my laptop and download the tune to my pc, look at the boost tables, and air fuel ratios etc. But I would have to find someone that would be able to tell by looking at it whether it was stock or not? Not sure...

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/Sta...-Warranty.html

Last edited by thejet95; 11-16-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:45 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

A couple of things.

First, the addition of the aftermarket parts is enough to void the warranty should they decide to do so.

Second, you do not need a tuner to have great power with an Eco boost engine.

They have over 400 ft/lb of torque at 2500 RPM. That will break the tires loose with ease.

To be truthful, those aftermarket parts likely did not do much to increase power. Factory you already had more then enough to spin the tires and put you in the seat
thejet95 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Assuming your truck is 4x4 and oversized tires, if you are on it all the time 12 MPG is probably what you are going to get from your truck. Its a brick on wheels you won't ever get great MPG out of it.
elfiero (11-17-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:59 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
IDS software can detect the tune even if the truck is returned to stock programming.

Erroneous information! The only way IDS will see anything is if the truck is still tuned when the pcm is accessed.

Ford tech HQ might be able to detect it if the pcm is sent in but not in the field with IDS. I am Ford factory trained and well versed using IDS and ALL of it's functions, have been using it since it was called WDS back in the early 00's. Was a dealer line master tech for 11 years and have had to tell many of my customers to return to stock so I could accurately diagnose concerns they had (mostly Powerstroke diesels) but the same for gas.

Unless you have some proof otherwise that I am unaware of, if you do I would gladly investigate your findings to bolster your statement. I have my own IDS.

Last edited by RLXXI; 11-16-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
A couple of things.

First, the addition of the aftermarket parts is enough to void the warranty should they decide to do so.

Second, you do not need a tuner to have great power with an Eco boost engine.

They have over 400 ft/lb of torque at 2500 RPM. That will break the tires loose with ease.

To be truthful, those aftermarket parts likely did not do much to increase power. Factory you already had more then enough to spin the tires and put you in the seat
Okay, that makes me feel better! Also, I found a wrecked truck locally and returned the truck to stock air intake and stock exhaust. Much quieter now! And the power seems unchanged. I called a local Ford performance store and they told me "if your truck is still married to an SCT or other tuner, you won't be able to flash it with another tuner". They recommended I take it to Ford and ask them to "flash it back to stock". Which he thought was around $150. Not sure if thats smart though.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Erroneous information! The only way IDS will see anything is if the truck is still tuned when the pcm is accessed.

Ford tech HQ might be able to detect it if the pcm is sent in but not in the field with IDS. I am Ford factory trained and well versed using IDS and ALL of it's functions, have been using it since it was called WDS back in the early 00's. Was a dealer line master tech for 11 years and have had to tell many of my customers to return to stock so I could accurately diagnose concerns they had (mostly Powerstroke diesels) but the same for gas.

Unless you have some proof otherwise that I am unaware of, if yo do I would gladly investigate your findings to bolster your statement. I have my own IDS.
Also a few posts up that showed the bulletin for service techs, it shows a P1000 code would show the PCM possibly had been reflashed, but then below that shows that a battery disconnect could cause the P1000 code, and without evidence of other modifications, the repair would be covered under warranty. Unless I'm misreading that...Either way, I need to make sure I have an actual Ford OEM tune on my truck. Just not sure how I can do that without going to a dealer.