2013 F-150 Cranks but no start - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 Cranks but no start

Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 PM

Default 2013 F-150 Cranks but no start

Hello All - Recently purchased a 2013 F-150. I parked it the other night and got up the next morning to go to work and the truck just cranks but will not start. I have gone through and verified that the fuel pump works as I can hear it when I put the key in. Fuse #27 looks brand new and if I remove the fuse and look into the block it looks clean. I verified the fuel pump relay was working as it clicks when someone else turns the key. I went under the spare tire and looked at the fuel pump module and everything looks good. I live in the south and do not have to worry about salt. That said, is there a way to test the module? Any other ideas or suggestions? I hate to tow it to a shop if its something that I can fix. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Fleet Technician

Thanked 4,076 Times in 3,231 Posts

Run codes on it.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Ford Owner

It sound like the crank or cam sensors. If they don't know know the location of the cam or crank, they don't know where or when to send the spark and as a result they don't send any spark. First check to see if you are getting spark at the plug wires. If no, try cleaning the connections to the sensors. If you find the sensors caked in dirt and crud it gives you a good clue that they are not detecting anything. the sensors are cheap if you need to replace them.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:40 AM

I had an intermittent problem with the truck starting. My fuse 27 looked fine. No burn, looked like I had power going through. Everything seemed to check out.

I ended up doing the fuse 27 kit with little hope. After that everything worked fine. Do fuse 27 before you do anything else.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the replies...here's the update. No codes register. I had the truck taken to my local mechanic and he went through the fuel system. States that all fuses checked out. He pulled the spark plugs and they were all coated in gas. Said he cleaned them up, go as much fuel out of the cylinders as he could, put the plugs back in and the truck fired right now. I had him change out the plugs as they were older and I went and picked the truck up last night. No problem starting it a couple times. Got in it this morning and same thing...just cranks. What else am I missing???
Old 10-27-2018, 02:12 PM

Small update...I pulled the (3) spark plugs on the drivers side and they were all coated in gas. Is it possible that the engine is getting flooded somehow and therefore cant fire? If so, what could cause this issue and how can I go about draining the gas in the cylinders? Any help/advice/feedback is appreciated. I would rather not tow it back to the mechanic or ford dealer if I can self diagnose.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 Cranks but no start

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: