Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F-150 Cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 F-150 Cranks but no start

Hello All - Recently purchased a 2013 F-150. I parked it the other night and got up the next morning to go to work and the truck just cranks but will not start. I have gone through and verified that the fuel pump works as I can hear it when I put the key in. Fuse #27 looks brand new and if I remove the fuse and look into the block it looks clean. I verified the fuel pump relay was working as it clicks when someone else turns the key. I went under the spare tire and looked at the fuel pump module and everything looks good. I live in the south and do not have to worry about salt. That said, is there a way to test the module? Any other ideas or suggestions? I hate to tow it to a shop if its something that I can fix. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:55 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Run codes on it.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:29 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

It sound like the crank or cam sensors. If they don't know know the location of the cam or crank, they don't know where or when to send the spark and as a result they don't send any spark. First check to see if you are getting spark at the plug wires. If no, try cleaning the connections to the sensors. If you find the sensors caked in dirt and crud it gives you a good clue that they are not detecting anything. the sensors are cheap if you need to replace them.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an intermittent problem with the truck starting. My fuse 27 looked fine. No burn, looked like I had power going through. Everything seemed to check out.

I ended up doing the fuse 27 kit with little hope. After that everything worked fine. Do fuse 27 before you do anything else.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the replies...here's the update. No codes register. I had the truck taken to my local mechanic and he went through the fuel system. States that all fuses checked out. He pulled the spark plugs and they were all coated in gas. Said he cleaned them up, go as much fuel out of the cylinders as he could, put the plugs back in and the truck fired right now. I had him change out the plugs as they were older and I went and picked the truck up last night. No problem starting it a couple times. Got in it this morning and same thing...just cranks. What else am I missing???
Old 10-27-2018, 01:12 PM

Small update...I pulled the (3) spark plugs on the drivers side and they were all coated in gas. Is it possible that the engine is getting flooded somehow and therefore cant fire? If so, what could cause this issue and how can I go about draining the gas in the cylinders? Any help/advice/feedback is appreciated. I would rather not tow it back to the mechanic or ford dealer if I can self diagnose.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:42 PM

OK, back at it. The issue has not been resolved, but I am leaning towards a leaky injector. The truck seems to flood itself after sitting for a period of 5+ hours. I have to "cold start" it every morning to clear the gas out of the cylinders before it starts (usually takes 15-25 seconds before it will fire). A couple questions.

Is there a way to diagnose that the injectors are the cause?
Is this something that I can tackle over a weekend with basic mechanical knowledge?
Anything else I should be looking for besides the injectors?

Lastly, I have a small, intermittent coolant leak. It seems to only happen once the truck cools down and occurs near the passenger front tire. I cant trace where it is coming from. Any ideas on what to look for??

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Check around the heater hoses and the radiator hose. There should be coolant on these hoses if this is the source of the leaks and you should find it by going over the hoses with a shop towel.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:35 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Thread is a year old, and was last updated in Feb. Either it's fixed or blown up by now.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:50 PM

Believe it or not, not fixed and still running. Coolant leak seamed to fix itself so I am thinking that my mechanic tightened some connection or fitting.

that said, the truck started and ran great all summer...no issues. It just started getting colder at night her in NC and I have noticed a couple mornings the truck struggles to start. If I press the gas pedal down and then turn the key, I can then pump the pedal and it starts right up.

any ideas???

Quick Reply: 2013 F-150 Cranks but no start