Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 5.0 F150 Water Pump Failure

Old 03-20-2016, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 5.0 F150 Water Pump Failure

So I'm not new to the forum but it's been a couple of years and I was unable to recover my old user name. Anyway I'm back today after a long stressful attempt at a leisurely afternoon of fishing.

Today my water pump imploded on my '13 4x4 Screw F150 after a 130mi trip to the small town of Maupin, Oregon. As if on cue as I approached the river and my destination, I started hearing a low grinding/squeal under light acceleration as I descended into town and I turned down the radio to hear the noise more clearly. It came and went but was most audible at about 2,500 rpm. I pulled into the fly fishing shop parking lot not even 30 seconds later and was greeted by the smell of sweet syrup that is burning coolant coating the entire engine bay and chassis of the truck. Not a drop of coolant left in the reservoir and the truck wasn't overheating, no warning lights, no nothing just an unknown coolant leak. I let the truck cool down and walked a block away to Barnetts towing and they told me to bring it on over to give it a look.

Upon start up I could hear a dry grinding that was really unsettling. Leaving the truck running we added coolant to the reservoir and gradually a nice sized puddle began to form under the truck. The squeak had dulled to a sort of knock but we turned the motor off and I started feeling around and noticed the water pump pulley had a little play in it as if loose or bad bearings. As soon as I inspected it with the flashlight I could see risidual coolant steaming out of some location on the base of the water pump. We determined pretty quickly that my truck would have to be towed back home over 100mi away.

I called Ford roadside assistance and they offered to cover the first 43 miles of towing (distance to closest dealer) and I paid the last $400 out of pocket to get me home. I set up an appointment with my dealership and they are to look at it first thing Monday morning.

I'm really concerned with what kind of damage a destroyed water pump might do to the internals of this motor. I haven't found a whole lot of info online yet but the mechanics in Maupin warned that its dangerously close to the timing chain behind that cover and I'm concerned that coolant and metal peices may find their way deeper into the crank case/and or oil. Thinking back now I wish I had pulled the dipstick and checked the oil. I might go over there tomorrow to see the truck again and check that out. Pile that on top of the risk that ford might not cover the repair... They were hesitant to tell me over the phone if the water pump would be covered under the power train warranty. The truck has just shy of 40k miles on it.

Anyway I wasn't able to find a whole lot of info on the F150 5.0 motor having water pump failure on the forums so I thought I would start this thread up. I will update everyone as it goes. Only positive so far is that Ford roadside was really kind and helpful and the folks at Barnett's towing were great. I really can't believe a water pump would fail at such a low mileage. I've never heard of that before but sh*t happens and sometimes we have to pay the piper but that's just the cost of truck ownership; lets just hope Ford does the right thing and that the repair is covered fully under warranty and without too much hassle.

-Kodiak
Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not think anything sounds harmful, but the water pump blowing up sounds bad. If it is just a failed water pump and you did not cook the engine , like the temp gauge in the red zone for a period of time you should be ok.

I had a water pump go out in 14,000 miles one time. You will be alright.

Last edited by damper; 03-21-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow 12k mi yours failed... Did it leak coolant like crazy too? I guess I know now it wasn't really too big of a deal but it really had me worried.

Dealer had the truck fixed by 12:30 today. I asked about the engine overheating and the service rep told me the overheating wouldn't show on my dash because the truck was totally dry of coolant and the thermostat only reads fluid temperature. Makes sense I didn't think of that. He said they checked for codes because the cylinders have temp sensors which trip error codes if they get too hot. No codes found.

I wanted to see the pump to check the damage but they had already boxed up the broken parts to send back to Ford to review. He also told me this was the first '13 they had to change the water pump on which is surprising to me.

He said there was no way a failed water pump would be catastrophic enough to cause damage allowing coolant into the oil. I'm going to change the oil this weekend for piece of mind.

I'm satisfied with the repair but I'm going to write a letter to Ford about the inconvenience and tow cost to see if I can get reimbursement for the tow. I figure it's worth a shot.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

These 5.0's used in the Mustangs are also being reported as early failures (I'm on a Mustang forum as well).
Old 03-22-2016, 03:56 AM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine was just changed under warranty as well before anything major happened though. It was starting to leak and was found by the dealership while doing some other warranty work on my truck. It was in the shop getting the EPAS changed.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 291 Likes on 209 Posts

Your insurance co won't cover the tow??
Old 03-22-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderFX
Your insurance co won't cover the tow??
Who has "tow" insurance? I have the bare minimum liability coverage required by the state. Anything else is just financing the insurance executives bonus'. I don't insure against theft and collision because, if it happens I pay for it O.O.P. It's cheaper that way.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by elfiero
Who has "tow" insurance? I have the bare minimum liability coverage required by the state. Anything else is just financing the insurance executives bonus'. I don't insure against theft and collision because, if it happens I pay for it O.O.P. It's cheaper that way.
umm, I do. It cost me $7 a year. But I carry full coverage on my vehicles, just like I carry health insurance on my body. I don't mind paying for the piece of mind of knowing that if a deer runs out in front of me, an a hole breaks in my truck, or an uninsured motorist plows into, or I have an accident that is my fault, that it won't cost me out of pocket. That's the definition of insurance.
The following users liked this post:
rsylvstr (09-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by elfiero
I also have it. It is definitely worth it. You'd be surprised when your truck decides to break. I'd rather fight with an insurance company for money if someone breaks into my truck and steals things then have to fight with the local police officers to find who did it. Idk what kind of truck you drive but my platinum isn't cheap to replace parts on if someone decided to damage any of the interior pieces.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 PM

When I totaled my z71, it ended up in a lake (long story, don't ask. Just know it involved alcohol and a dare), and they had to bring a boom rig to get it out. Recovery bill was well over $1k. It didn't cost me a dime. I will pay it every time.

2013 5.0 F150 Water Pump Failure-image-1794696327.jpg

Yes, it's on its side. Water up to the console :/
The following users liked this post:
tuxedoblk_5.oh (03-22-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 5.0 F150 Water Pump Failure