Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 3.5 Eco'...gas mileage: Advice needed/requested.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 3.5 Eco'...gas mileage: Advice needed/requested.

Hi guys, I'd like to ask for some advice or insights into the gas mileage situation that I seem to find myself in recently with my 2012 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost. Anything you can tell me or add about your own experiences or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Purchased in May '16 with about 83,000 miles on it. In almost all ways it's a great truck and I really like it, but I'm starting to have gas mileage problems and I don't really understand why. For the first four or five months, mileage on my trip counter would stay about 16.0-16.1. This was less than I was hoping for, but only by a little and I didn't let it bother me. But about a month or so ago, right after scheduled maintenance at a dealership, it has been coming in much less. Now It's more like about 14.0 and has dipped even less. I find this a little disturbing and disheartening and gives me the unfortunate side-effect of enjoying my Ford experience less than I should.

A few factors that may illuminate my situation better.

-I bought it with 83,000 and now it has about 93,000.
-It's had two oil changes since I purchased, (85,000, 90,000), always at a Ford Dealership. Every oil change it's ever had has been at a dealership with Motorcraft full synthetic.
-Most recent oil change at 90,000, I also got the coolant fluid service and fuel induction system service as called for in maintenance schedule.
-I also only use Top Tier rated gasoline.
-I live in Michigan and have been turning on heat more in the last month and also letting truck run/warm up idling a bit before driving.
-I have not done either of the mods' that get recommended by some...the catch can before direct injection, or the weep hole in the bottom of the intercooler.

Anything advice or insights would be greatly appreciated. This is something that is really starting to wear on my mind a little bit. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

My brand new 3.5EB 2017 did 13.75MPG at the last fuelup... 70% highway 30% city. Mainly caused by the cold weather. It's only going to be worst in a few week once the winter will be full blast. lol

I don't think you can do anything to help. Did you check your oil level to make sure it was within the specs? As I said, temperature is the main factor that decreased your MPG.

Also, idling is not good for engine and the consumption. I only start mine for 1-2 minutes max before getting out. You just need the oil to circulate a little before taking off, but I know most people do let their engine idle a longer period of time to get the heated seats & warm air in the cabin before entering it.

Last edited by Eduskator; 11-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:06 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Change the plugs...these DI engines seem to really beat up the spark plugs.

I changed mine a year and a half back, made a ton of difference and an immediate increase in fuel mileage.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

You said you bought it in May and then 5 months later the mpg's dropped by 1 or 2 mpg's.
May is the summer has and October is the start of winter gas for the gas stations. It's normal, In spring it will go back up by 1 or 2 mpg's.
Happens every year. Google it.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (11-28-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don’t do the mods. I never did ..I put 199 k mi on my 2011 and changed the oil every 10k mi religiously when it told me to. Never used more than a cupful of oil between changes... down 1/8” on the stick. Don’t mess w plugs till it starts missing at wot getting on the interstate. I averaged 18.6 lifetime avg at 199k. Most I ever saw was 21 really babying it on interstate. Most of mine was interstate...thus the high average. There is always the season fuel switch and lose. Wife had to have EB in expy and I got another this year also. Drive and enjoy.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:53 AM

Hey, thanks to all who responded...I suspected it was just a cold weather thing but this the first vehicle I've had with the mileage counter deal on it and I guess that sort of thing had never really occurred to me before. I'm going to take a few simple steps to hopefully minimize the winter decrease...I adjusted the tire pressure and took three bags of salt out of the back that I'd put in there a few weeks ago. I'll also cut down on the "warm up" time in the am.

Thanks again to all, and specific thanks about the mods
Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Change the air filter, often.
2. Change the plugs, before it starts to miss. Every 25k miles. Use Motorcraft. gap right.
3. Don't warm it up, tough it out in the morning.
4. Keep your right foot out of the booster. Fun, but expensive.
5. Keep your tires inflated correctly.
6. Don't buy the dealer promoted fuel system cleanout. Do what Ford says only.
7. Winter fuel sucks.

Drive it and have fun, it ain't a Prius. Thank God.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pyzon
1. Change the air filter, often.
2. Change the plugs, before it starts to miss. Every 25k miles. Use Motorcraft. gap right.
3. Don't warm it up, tough it out in the morning.
4. Keep your right foot out of the booster. Fun, but expensive.
5. Keep your tires inflated correctly.
6. Don't buy the dealer promoted fuel system cleanout. Do what Ford says only.
7. Winter fuel sucks.

Drive it and have fun, it ain't a Prius. Thank God.

Good advice, thanks. What do you think about a simple DIY air intake cleaning?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Won't hurt to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. But your biggest issue is likely the spark plugs and the carbon buildup on the valves. EcoBoost engines from that generation were notorious for carbon and soot. I've seen down inside the valves and it can be a nasty situation.

If it was my truck, I'd change the plugs now, and start using only Top Tier gasoline, and I'd change the oil every 5K miles. Screw that oil life meter.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by WXman
Won't hurt to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. But your biggest issue is likely the spark plugs and the carbon buildup on the valves. EcoBoost engines from that generation were notorious for carbon and soot. I've seen down inside the valves and it can be a nasty situation.

If it was my truck, I'd change the plugs now, and start using only Top Tier gasoline, and I'd change the oil every 5K miles. Screw that oil life meter.

I just had the throttle body cleaned, and do only use Top Tier, which is great advice for anyone. I also do the oil changes at 5K as well, Motorcraft oil. I am concerned about the carbon buildup on the valves issue but I've been unsure as to how to proceed if at all. Many have said that doing the catch can mod' is essential and others say don't worry about it if you do your oil changes correctly and use quality gasoline. Despite the truck that it is, I mostly just ride it around town; point being I'm not hauling a fifth wheel trailer or otherwise pushing it hard. Still I'm unsure, which is why I haven't done them.

Last edited by Surecatch; 11-28-2017 at 10:56 AM.