Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 F150 clock flashing / radio will not come on issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 F150 clock flashing / radio will not come on issue

Long time lurker first time caller....

We purchased a 2011 F150 SC 5.0 4x4 in November 2011 Brand new. Since we drove it off the lot here are the issues we had at that time:

Driver side speaker would fade in & out and you could hear at times like a bad ( Old vinyl record scratching ) connection while driving
Steering wheel Radio controls would not function properly at times when trying to switch to a different station

We took it back to the Dealership probably 3 or 4 times with our complaint in December 2011 and Feb 2012 and sometime in 2014. Each time we took it in they would test drive it and each time the two issues never came up. And their response was it has to malfunction while we are in the vehicle.

At that time I chalked it up as something we're going to have to deal with which gave me the RED *** after spending 32K for a new vehicle and having to deal with this. Which it kept on doing on & off til about month ago. I decided to clean my battery ( Currently driving with the 2nd battery of the vehicles life span ) cables and after that a few days later we had the radio on driving down the road and heard a loud POP and the radio cut off. ( That was the first time the radio ever turned off ) It came back on a few minutes later. Well 3 or 4 days ago it did it again and the radio has not been on since. Just the clock flashing and that's it.

My first question is, should I even attempt to go back to that dealership & get beat up with their "It's 2018, it's out of warranty, bla bla bla " even though it should be on record that we brought this vehicle in on the dates above for what I'm thinking is the same issue?

Or should I just take in the shorts and go have a after market radio and speakers installed?

Note: Everything is still factory

I have read some older threads with this particular problem and I'm thinking that it's a solder and wire issue.... I could be wrong though

Yalls thoughts?
Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 577 Likes on 390 Posts

Replace it with better and move on. You can install a new radio in under an hour if you are half way handy with hand tools. If you want new speakers then it is about half hour per door. The dealer or Ford will not replace under warranty or unless you have an extended warranty that is still in affect today.

I would just replace the head unit and see how the factory speakers sound to you. If good enough then keep on moving if not then get some good aftermarket ones and move on.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:18 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

www.pullapart.com They offer a warranty on parts and the last time I know someone bought a stereo from them (oem) it was like $12.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:31 PM

Outstanding, thank you guys!!!
Old 09-17-2022, 04:11 PM

Default I have same issue with my 2012 f150 radio. !?

Originally Posted by Marc
Long time lurker first time caller....

We purchased a 2011 F150 SC 5.0 4x4 in November 2011 Brand new. Since we drove it off the lot here are the issues we had at that time:

Driver side speaker would fade in & out and you could hear at times like a bad ( Old vinyl record scratching ) connection while driving
Steering wheel Radio controls would not function properly at times when trying to switch to a different station

We took it back to the Dealership probably 3 or 4 times with our complaint in December 2011 and Feb 2012 and sometime in 2014. Each time we took it in they would test drive it and each time the two issues never came up. And their response was it has to malfunction while we are in the vehicle.

At that time I chalked it up as something we're going to have to deal with which gave me the RED *** after spending 32K for a new vehicle and having to deal with this. Which it kept on doing on & off til about month ago. I decided to clean my battery ( Currently driving with the 2nd battery of the vehicles life span ) cables and after that a few days later we had the radio on driving down the road and heard a loud POP and the radio cut off. ( That was the first time the radio ever turned off ) It came back on a few minutes later. Well 3 or 4 days ago it did it again and the radio has not been on since. Just the clock flashing and that's it.

My first question is, should I even attempt to go back to that dealership & get beat up with their "It's 2018, it's out of warranty, bla bla bla " even though it should be on record that we brought this vehicle in on the dates above for what I'm thinking is the same issue?

Or should I just take in the shorts and go have a after market radio and speakers installed?

Note: Everything is still factory

I have read some older threads with this particular problem and I'm thinking that it's a solder and wire issue.... I could be wrong though

Yalls thoughts?
I have same issue so I’m following.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:43 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Exclamation

triciathornhill...
Welcome!

*Heads-Up*
  1. The thread is 4+years old.
  2. The last login for Marc (the O/P) was 4+years ago.
  3. There are year specific forums which better serve non-general F-150 issues/topics.

» Late Model F150s ««« -click-
    hint: You would be more betterer served making your own post in the appropriate forum.
  4. Consider putting your complete vehicle information (year, model, cab, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, mileage, maintenance, modifications, etc., etc.) in your signature to have it automagically included when you post. *Eliminates playing 20 questions when/if a post is made in the future pertaining to your vehicle.
    » Edit Signature ««« -click-
    *Don't forget to [ save ] it.

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 clock flashing / radio will not come on issue