Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans (https://www.f150forum.com/)
-   General F150 Discussion (https://www.f150forum.com/f2/)
-   -   2009 Lariat Super Crew 6R80 Trans Dipstick Kit Install (https://www.f150forum.com/f2/2009-lariat-super-crew-6r80-trans-dipstick-kit-install-430993/)

Cliff21 11-05-2018 05:01 PM

2009 Lariat Super Crew 6R80 Trans Dipstick Kit Install
 
Hello Everyone;
Wanted to let you know that today I installed the B&M part #22200 Transmission Dipstick Kit in my 2009 even though the kit indicates it's only applicable for 2010 and up. It was after looking at what's presently available for Dipstick kits that I decided the B&M looked the most robust....which is what I was after.

Initially emailed a couple of sellers such as Jegs to ask if they knew of any 2009 owners that had installed the kit but at that time (September 2018) no one from those companies were able to confirm any 2009 installations. So after doing some online research on 6R80's I decided to order the kit. When it arrived I carefully looked it over and couldn't see any reason for it not to work so proceeded to install it.

Have to say it feels good knowing I won't have to crawl under my truck to check the transmission fluid anymore.

Regards;

Cliff

Rnlcomp 11-05-2018 05:30 PM

I check my trans fluid by looking at the under side of the truck, if it's dry there's no leaks so the trans is full. Don't even have to pop the hood. LOL
.

Cliff21 11-05-2018 08:46 PM


Originally Posted by Rnlcomp (Post 5972903)
I check my trans fluid by looking at the under side of the truck, if it's dry there's no leaks so the trans is full. Don't even have to pop the hood. LOL
.

And for rainy days? :)

Rnlcomp 11-05-2018 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by Cliff21 (Post 5973128)
And for rainy days? :)

The only time I concern my self with a vehicle in the rain is if I'm being paid to work on it. Otherwise have a peek on a nice day. Of course you could always look for the oil sheen, I prefer a sunny day. ;)
.

RL1990 11-06-2018 10:07 AM


Originally Posted by Rnlcomp (Post 5972903)
I check my trans fluid by looking at the under side of the truck, if it's dry there's no leaks so the trans is full. Don't even have to pop the hood. LOL
.

What he said. My cousin is also a tech and he has a similar philosophy. Don't overthink it, follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, use OE parts and your vehicle should give you many years and miles of trouble free service.

Cliff21 11-06-2018 06:58 PM

Actually a small amount of thought will always be a good thing. As for anyone else’s personal habit, good for them, I made my choice and am happy with the result.

Gale Hawkins 02-10-2019 08:57 AM


Originally Posted by Cliff21 (Post 5972866)
Hello Everyone;
Wanted to let you know that today I installed the B&M part #22200 Transmission Dipstick Kit in my 2009 even though the kit indicates it's only applicable for 2010 and up. It was after looking at what's presently available for Dipstick kits that I decided the B&M looked the most robust....which is what I was after.

Initially emailed a couple of sellers such as Jegs to ask if they knew of any 2009 owners that had installed the kit but at that time (September 2018) no one from those companies were able to confirm any 2009 installations. So after doing some online research on 6R80's I decided to order the kit. When it arrived I carefully looked it over and couldn't see any reason for it not to work so proceeded to install it.

Have to say it feels good knowing I won't have to crawl under my truck to check the transmission fluid anymore.

Regards;

Cliff

Cliff does require any drilling or cutting? Is it large enough to refill using a funnel? I have added a spin on ATF filter so I can change ATF a filter full at a time and would like to have a handicap accessible dipstick. Thanks for your your helpful post.

PerryB 02-10-2019 09:10 AM


Originally Posted by Cliff21 (Post 5973128)
And for rainy days? :)

The point was, automatics can only lose fluid by leaking, they can't "burn" oil like an engine. If they're not leaking, they're still full.

Gale Hawkins 02-10-2019 09:35 AM


Originally Posted by PerryB (Post 6087388)
The point was, automatics can only lose fluid by leaking, they can't "burn" oil like an engine. If they're not leaking, they're still full.

In the past my ATF leaks were as far from the transmission as possible. Assuming and knowing are too different things. :)

PerryB 02-10-2019 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by Gale Hawkins (Post 6087420)
In the past my ATF leaks were as far from the transmission as possible. Assuming and knowing are too different things. :)

I can relate. I once had a 79 F150 with a trans cooler line that leaked on the right header collector. This collector had an incomplete weld at the top where the ATF dripped. If the truck sat a few days, it would smoke out the exhaust when started. Don't think I didn't pull a few hairs figuring that one out!
Like yourself, I'm most interested in a dipstick tube that will work as a fill tube also. So far, no such luck. You'd bee all day trying to refill a 6R80 through that small tube.
Some designer needs a serious flogging for what they did....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:24 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands