Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 xlt 5.4 with chirp/squeal while drive belt off

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 xlt 5.4 with chirp/squeal while drive belt off

Hello everyone,

Nice forum! I'm new here and new to Ford trucks. Looking forward to lots of visits here and hoping I can be of some help myself in the near future. For now though, I'm looking for a bit of help myself with a problem that has me stumped!! I bought a used 2006 Supercrew with a 5.4 Triton V8 last year. For the most part it's been a good work horse (pulling my boat) and reliable! A few weeks ago however, it developed a hard to describe chirp/squeal at 1800 - 2000 rpms. It sounded identical to a slipping drive belt/bad idler bearing. I proceeded to change idler pulleys, drive belt, belt tensioner and pulley, and ac compressor clutch and pulley, hoping to get rid of the aggravating chirp/squeal. So far nothing I replaced got rid of the sound and it has progressed to startup, to just idling, and all speeds. It does almost go totally quiet when I let off on the accelerator, but it's still there, just a very faint chirp though. The other day I had an idea while trying to get a look at the harmonic balancer and decided to start the truck with no drive belt on, so I did. To my surprise the noise is still there with the same persistence. I don't have a clue what to check next?! The location seems to be from the passenger side area of the motor. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:33 PM

Done!!!! Solved!!! No thanks to any of the fellow senior grease monkeys in this forum?? So to enlighten some folks who may be in need of a touch of free knowledge, as I was a short while ago. Here goes, a few weeks later.... but the undetectable chirp/squeal ended up originating from the passenger side exhaust manifold. 3 studs were broken. (the top and bottom studs for the front port and bottom stud on the back port. From the cab 10 out of 10 people swore it was belt squeal or something causing belt squeal. But no... it was air escaping between manifold and head producing it! SO, after i spent a few hours removing parts and checking out the available room to do everything.... I broke down and took it to the dealership. I've done many major repairs to my personal vehicles, and many family's and friend's vehicles. Rebuilt engines, transmissions, suspensions or every kind, complete brake systems, and on many various makes of vehicles. But I could never have dreamed up what Ford designers concocted when they made these trucks?!?! Maybe if I was under the influence??? Nahhhh don't think so,,,, my brain could NEVER be that dysfunctional no matter how/what substances I consumed or inhaled! Well, maybe when I reach zero heart beats a minute?! Anywho, I think tonight I'll contemplate torching the big blue bundle of time-and-money-sucking metal, plastic and rubber, over a few drinks. lol If I don't come to my senses and light it up.... I'll ponder doing the wonderful f150 sparkplugs and door rattles in the upcoming weeks?! And then maybe some timing chains or something I haven't discovered yet? Stay tuned!
The following users liked this post:
cwalter (01-08-2018)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the
Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.
The following users liked this post:
I'dRatherBfishing (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 PM

Thanks gDMJoe! Any kind of help or direction (to help) is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Received 196 Likes on 154 Posts

To simplify, Audi and Mercedes are 2 makes that I'd be reluctant to buy used anyway lol. I agree that turbo engines and NA engines can fail. But there are less components to fail on a NA engine. Is this correct or no?
Old 01-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking squeeling matter.

Thanks so much for your thread on this matter as I am having the same problem when the temperture drops below freezing. until engine warms up completely, between 1800rpm's and 2000 have a high pitched sound like a dry bearing spun at high speed. I was going to change idlers first and check,but with your information I will check the exhaust manifolds. do they have gaskets installed from the factory? thanks again

Quick Reply: 2006 xlt 5.4 with chirp/squeal while drive belt off