General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F-150 Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 F-150 Maintenance Question

Hi Everyone I just bought a 2004 F-150 Supercab 4.6L V8 96,000 miles this truck looks and drives like a 2008 model, and I love every bit of it.. I am getting ready to do its 100,000 mile maintenance on it, a couple of questions I have for you guys, the owners manual says to use 5w20 Oil, the dealership where I bought the truck used reg 10w30, and I have no idea what was in it before and I've always used Castrol Syntec Blend 10w30 in all my cars previously, should I go back to what Ford recommends or can I go with the castrol blend??

I am also getting ready to change the spark plugs to, I've read somewhere else that you should only use Motorcraft Spark Plugs as these trucks run hotter and a aftermarket spark plug can't handle the heat any truth to that or would any spark plug works.. I know it came with platinum plugs, so would there be any benefits to upgrading to double platinum plugs or sticking with just the reg platinums

I am also changing the transmission fluid and filter, and fuel filter again same question can I use aftermarket fluid and filters or stick with Motorcraft?.. I plan on keeping this truck for a long time, so I don't want no costly repair bills..

And finally my last question, I found out the other day this truck had a Viper Remote starter installed, not even the dealer knew it had one installed, aparrently whoever installed it forgot or didn't put the key security bypass switch in it because the only way it will start will be if you put the key in the ignition and then press the button it will start, once you remove the key and try to start it the gauges move and the chimes will sound and that is all no start.. anybody have a fix for this?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 PM

The sparkplugs are very different than most plugs. The electrode drops another 2 inches into the head after the threads. There are only a few companies that make them. Motorcraft, Brisk and Autolite. Brisk would be a better plug of the 3. It is one piece design and is less likely to brake off in the head. Be careful when removing the motorcraft plugs. I took my truck to a transmission shop and had it flushed and then they switched filters. The synthetic blend should be fine to use. I use the motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend in my van and truck. I use the motorcraft oil filter too.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Take the truck to a shop that installs alarms and see what they can do. Take care removing the plugs. The plugs are regular plugs in the 4.6 not the new extended plugs. I reccomend Motorcraft or Autolite. I run synthetic 10w30 Mobil 1.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I had the tune-up done, and used Motorcraft Platinum, and on my next oil change I think I will go with 5w20 Synthetic. as for the remote starter, I had a place look at it and they told me the only options were to either have the system replaced with another system, or have an extra key made and they can bury it in the steering column to make it work, I had an extra key made after I bought the truck because it only came with one reg key and one key that just unlocks the doors but does not start it, but the extra key costed about $140.00 and I hate to spend that much again on a key that will be buried..
Old 02-05-2008, 08:21 PM

NGM is right. I wasn't reading that it was 4.6l.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigd0170
but the extra key costed about $140.00 and I hate to spend that much again on a key that will be buried..
You should be able to get another key for a much lower price. Ford uses keyFOBs as a security measure. If you have a set of two, you can program a third yourself without having to pay a dealer big bucks. Procedure for programming is easy, just do a google search.

My first post, hooray!!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i use the mobil 5w-20 syntheic, as ford recomends and a motorcraft filter as i was told by my service rep there is a pressure relief valve in there...doubt it but its a cheap filter so ill keep using it.

the plugs, if your worried about the heat range you can go a step or 2 cooler, its what us turbo guys do to prevent detionation and such.

sorry i cant help you with the viper, im clueless there

Quick Reply: 2004 F-150 Maintenance Question