General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Ford F150 FX4 crab walking

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ford F150 FX4 crab walking

Hello everyone. I parked my truck after the winter, have company vehicle and wife uses Matrix in summer. I brought it out to tow a car trailer and noticed that the 4x4 is sticking in gear. It will come out if you go forward and back a little bit. Also in 4x4 when turning the front end jumps. When you get it out of 4x4 and turn the back tires are now scuffing as though the posi is stuck. Anyone have these problems or know how to solve them, some help would be greatly appreciated. I guess she doesn't like being parked!
Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

Not for sure about what's 'normal' for your model year, but my front end also 'wheel hops' in 4WD on pavement. Have always heard that 4WD should only be used in poor traction conditions, so the front end can 'slip' a bit and keep undue stresses off the driveline. Don't know that the 'sticking' is a serious issue - I understand that the owner's manual for many models suggests to back up a given distance or to perform some other unique action after disengaging in order to unlock everything.

As for the rear - hmmm, suppose if you have limited-slip, that it's possible the clutches have seized. Don't know if this is something that can be expected to free up with driving, or whether it will require tearing into the axle.

Another thought is that something has lodged or failed within the 'spider' gears - the four gears inside the rotating differential case. Again, an inspection is likely required, at a minimum.

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am a deisel mechanic and don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of some of this smaller stuff. Will try going for a drive and see if things free up. If not guess I'll pull cover off diff. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Make sure to put the LS additive back in the rear end after inspection. That is of course you have the LS option. The additive is a friction modifier, maybe wasn't in their and caused the clutch to stick together.

Last edited by Good old Bill; 07-28-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM

maybe its just needs servicing i couldnt find royal purple that was the right weight for my truck so just had for and dont make gaskets for some of the rear end have to use gasket maker. mine rumbles wen turning when i give ite gas
Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with everything said.....You need to usually do some stupid things to get 4 wheel drive disengaged... as for the rear end sticking, its quite simple especially if you are a mecanic to do a service on your diff...draining all the fluid, and inspecting it for shavings would be good, and then refill and add LSD fluid and you should be fine
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks guys. Drained diff, no filings. I inspected everything, nothing seemed or felt sticky or worn. Refilled diff and added the additive, haven't had it out but with my mucking around now the rear wheels will free turn while on jack stands, before i couldn't hold one and turn the other. Maybe??? Hope so thanks again! Will let you know how it turns out. The 4X4, the actuator seemed really slow to release, replaced now o.k.

Quick Reply: 2003 Ford F150 FX4 crab walking