General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" Rim Damage During Tire Install 2011 F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20" Rim Damage During Tire Install 2011 F150

Recently had some new tires installed on my 2011 F150. Went to Walmart because they had some good prices, half the cost of the other tire shops. I know this was a mistake and save me the "Mistake of going to Walmart" replies.

They damaged all 4 of my rims in the process. When I picked up the truck I briefly looked over the rims/tires and there was a good bit of dirt and grease on the rims. I didn't bother too much with it as I figured I would just clean it up later. Just got my vehicle washed and found what I thought to be dirt and grease as actual deep gouges on all 4 rims near the tire.

The reason I am posting is I need to know at what point in the tire installation would have cause this damage. It is consistent damage in the same spot on all 4 rims. I plan on going back up to Walmart but would like to be informed on where things went wrong while arguing. See Pictures. The dirty spots on the arms of the rim are just dirt/grease left over after the wash.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Did the wheels have balancing weights mounted on the outside of the rims before the tire change? Sadly these will leave marks on the rim if they have been there for a few years. My prior truck had the weights mounted by GMC on the outside lip of the chrome rims. After taking delivery of the truck I quickly had them removed and moved to the inside of the rim at a Ford Quick Lane without any damage to the rims.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts

I thought the same thing, wheel weight marks. The damaged spots all seem to be about the same size though. Maybe when they swung the arm down to break the beads on the old tires? Also could be when they set the arm, shoe or whatever it is called to stretch the new tires on to the wheels. Not really sure but I'd be very pissed and get very loud with the manager.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Looks like balancing weights to me... The tire mounting machine does not press anywhere else than on the very edge of the rims, but they will often use pry bars to pop the tire out of the inside of the rim.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you guys are correct. Now that I think about it I am pretty sure the weights were on the outside of the rim. I guess I cant get mad at Walmart for this one. Thanks for the answers. I will just live with it for now. Should be upgrading the truck in a year or so anyway.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

First time I went to Wal-Mart to get my tires mounted, they did a great job. Second time, not so much.
They ended up paying $375 for four new center caps, from Ford, after they broke them by forcing them onto the rims. I almost killed the bastards.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Agree with others on wheel weight damage. They are supposed to remove them prior to tire mount/dismount to avoid that, apparently they did not. These kind of stories are why I have my own tire machine and balancer.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Agree with others on wheel weight damage. They are supposed to remove them prior to tire mount/dismount to avoid that, apparently they did not. These kind of stories are why I have my own tire machine and balancer.

You are the man!! I like that. If you don't mind me asking, what does something like that cost?
Old 05-09-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Never mind...Google is my friend. Not a bad price

Quick Reply: 20" Rim Damage During Tire Install 2011 F150